Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shankar2

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 7, 2009
Hi, I'm quite happy with the new IOS 11 imessage stickers etc.

My question is, does High Sierra iMessage have the same interface/features? Thanks!

TrenttonY

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2012
HA! macOS still doesn't even have a News.app that came out in 2015 for iOS...

So much a consistency...

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
HA! macOS still doesn't even have a News.app that came out in 2015 for iOS...

So much a consistency...

The previous excuse for iMessage was that it uses UIKit, which didn’t exist on the Mac. UXKit is a version of it that was first used in Photos in 2015. It’s still a private API, so maybe they’re waiting to polish it up before making it public alongside a rewritten iMessage. But yeah, that was two years ago. I thought a new iMessage was a given this year.

chriscrowlee

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2015
San Diego, CA
Hi, I'm quite happy with the new IOS 11 imessage stickers etc.

My question is, does High Sierra iMessage have the same interface/features? Thanks!

Messages for Mac is functional, but looks like iMessage did 4 years ago. It's rather sad how inconsistent it is with the iOS version, but not surprising considering how Apple doesn't seem to communicate from one group to another anymore. Maybe with Apple Park they'll have someone walk the circle and update teams before going full 360 and launching a product.. LOL.

But seriously, it's sad. And even more sad is that the 2 main features I was excited for, P2P payments, and iMessage Cloud Sync weren't launched as part of iOS 11. My guess is its related to the above issues with iMessage. The delivery of iMessages after a computer is offline is gross. Messages often come in out of order, or will take hours to catch up. And of course you get ALL the messages since apparently they can sync to the cloud for delivery to Mac when it comes back online, but not do two way sync for deletion purposes? So disjointed.

The sad part is if I had to pick one feature that's "sticky" aka keeps me buying Apple iPhone\Mac, it's iMessage. I know that sounds weird, but that's the one feature I use on my phone more than anything else. Being able to send as long\short messages as I want, with imbedded video and links, etc, is why I am still with iPhone and not Android. It's literally the ONE feature I can't imagine living without going to Android... and the one feature that if enough of my friends\family switched away from iOS devices I'd no longer be loyal to Apple for phones. I don't think I'm alone here either... let's hope Apple gets their act together with messaging. Seems like stickers and emojis are more important to them than basic features at this point though.

Reactions: john123 and ryxn

TrenttonY

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2012
Messages for Mac is functional, but looks like iMessage did 4 years ago. It's rather sad how inconsistent it is with the iOS version, but not surprising considering how Apple doesn't seem to communicate from one group to another anymore. Maybe with Apple Park they'll have someone walk the circle and update teams before going full 360 and launching a product.. LOL.

But seriously, it's sad. And even more sad is that the 2 main features I was excited for, P2P payments, and iMessage Cloud Sync weren't launched as part of iOS 11. My guess is its related to the above issues with iMessage. The delivery of iMessages after a computer is offline is gross. Messages often come in out of order, or will take hours to catch up. And of course you get ALL the messages since apparently they can sync to the cloud for delivery to Mac when it comes back online, but not do two way sync for deletion purposes? So disjointed.

The sad part is if I had to pick one feature that's "sticky" aka keeps me buying Apple iPhone\Mac, it's iMessage. I know that sounds weird, but that's the one feature I use on my phone more than anything else. Being able to send as long\short messages as I want, with imbedded video and links, etc, is why I am still with iPhone and not Android. It's literally the ONE feature I can't imagine living without going to Android... and the one feature that if enough of my friends\family switched away from iOS devices I'd no longer be loyal to Apple for phones. I don't think I'm alone here either... let's hope Apple gets their act together with messaging. Seems like stickers and emojis are more important to them than basic features at this point though.
How dare you...make true points.

They had to waste their time on redesigning the Music, and TV, design template starting last year. Those two apps are the most fugly they have ever 'upgraded'.

Reactions: john123

chriscrowlee

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2015
San Diego, CA
How dare you...make true points.

They had to waste their time on redesigning the Music, and TV, design template starting last year. Those two apps are the most fugly they have ever 'upgraded'.

I know. I am just waiting for (certain) users to come trash my comments for speaking ill of Apple. Seriously though.... the priorities at Apple seem to be toward attracting kids who would rather have talking poo emojis than users who want a stable OS with the features promised actually delivered.

Funny you mention the AppleTV... I have two identical devices. I wiped them both. Installed iOS 11. One is a dark interface, one is a light interface. Both absolutely stock restores. Zero logic to that. LOL

TrenttonY

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2012
I know. I am just waiting for (certain) users to come trash my comments for speaking ill of Apple. Seriously though.... the priorities at Apple seem to be toward attracting kids who would rather have talking poo emojis than users who want a stable OS with the features promised actually delivered.

Funny you mention the AppleTV... I have two identical devices. I wiped them both. Installed iOS 11. One is a dark interface, one is a light interface. Both absolutely stock restores. Zero logic to that. LOL
I'm not sure what the issue is with Apple in the past few years, I know Tim is a large part of the problem. Steve's influence I actually believe was with Apple all the way up till 2014, then Tim's influence and frankly his overly-political ways began to seep into every aspect of Apple.

It feels like on this forum that they give Craig way to much slack. Yes, he is very likable, but he now basically in charge of all of Apple's software. Maybe he is being stretched too thin.

I hope I this happens in the "near" future:
Eddy leaves, or is demoted to a very low power (I find him very annoying, his Golden State 'number on fan' gimmick is not funny anymore)
Craig handles iOS and macOS only
Someone new handles Apple's hobby products: watchOS, tvOS
Someone new handles Apple services, etc Siri
Tim either leaves his politics at home (including his Twitter), or is replaced by Jeff Williams (I believe he his already CEO in training)

Rant over ;)

chriscrowlee

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2015
San Diego, CA
I'm not sure what the issue is with Apple in the past few years, I know Tim is a large part of the problem. Steve's influence I actually believe was with Apple all the way up till 2014, then Tim's influence and frankly his overly-political ways began to seep into every aspect of Apple.

It feels like on this forum that they give Craig way to much slack. Yes, he is very likable, but he now basically in charge of all of Apple's software. Maybe he is being stretched too thin.

I hope I this happens in the "near" future:
Eddy leaves, or is demoted to a very low power (I find him very annoying, his Golden State 'number on fan' gimmick is not funny anymore)
Craig handles iOS and macOS only
Someone new handles Apple's hobby products: watchOS, tvOS
Someone new handles Apple services, etc Siri
Tim either leaves his politics at home (including his Twitter), or is replaced by Jeff Williams (I believe he his already CEO in training)

Rant over ;)

I think your comments (not a rant, they're all valid opinions) ... the one guy that I noticed was completely absent in WWDC2017 and the Fall Product Launch Keynote was Johnny Ive. No "aluminimum" design\production engineering video like EVERY previous product launch as long as I can remember. Maybe it's the red dot on the watch. Maybe it's the notch on the iPhone... but sure doesn't seem like his aesthetics expertise is being used anymore, much less his marketing video talent.

So the guy who was design and marketing genius isn't being tapped anymore, yet Angela, the marketing\sales\retail idiot is being tapped more than ever. Just goes to show Apple is putting political\social causes ahead of actually running a company.

SoYoung

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2015
Am I the only one having this problem with Messages App on macOS?

If I have a conversation with someone with a lot of pictures/videos/mms if I click on another conversation and click back to this person, the messages App will load forever and have to force quit or it will take 5 min to load the conversation...

Have this problem since el Capitan last year. Very annoying.

TrenttonY

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2012
Am I the only one having this problem with Messages App on macOS?

If I have a conversation with someone with a lot of pictures/videos/mms if I click on another conversation and click back to this person, the messages App will load forever and have to force quit or it will take 5 min to load the conversation...

Have this problem since el Capitan last year. Very annoying.
You may have to clear all that old pics, vids, as you mentioned. On macOS my default even when you delete the message thread ( little x button), it doesn't actually delete the contents. Go to Message preferences and uncheck "Save history when conversations are closed". This when unchecked will delete all the contents of the messages when you click the ( little x button).

But be warned THIS WILL DELETE PICS, VIDS, ETC INSIDE THE MESSAGE

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.