Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 13, 2009
Wondering if it requires a hub (Apple TV, etc)? And if it does, what happens if the Apple TV goes down? I know with homekit outlets it messes up automation. Does video still work? Can it still be accessed away from the home? Like the idea of secure video but not if the hub is a single point of failure.

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 13, 2009
There's got to be someone here using HomeKit secure video device. I really want to know what happens if the hub goes down? Like what if I am on vacation and the Apple TV stops working. Does the webcam stop functioning as well? I've not been able to get good information around the hub requirement.

Bgosh

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2016
Las Vegas
This article seems to be the only one I’ve found with a more detailed explanation of the HomeKit hub’s role

Although it doesn’t explain exactly what would happen if your home hub were do go down, I’d surmise that you’d lose video. As a HomeKit hub is required for access to devices outside of your home network live feed would also be unresponsive outside of your home, at least within the home app. You’re camera’s native app may have an option for viewing. I have a few HomeKit hubs so testing this would be really time consuming for me, but I hope this helps

Reactions: Paco II
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.