Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

inuragon

macrumors member
Original poster
May 10, 2023
Been getting tired of hue being expensive and closed system so got bit interested when i heard about matter but it turns out i need to choose a matter gateway so since i have an iphone and ipad i am considering the homepod mini, but i am not sure if i can control lights and other devices with my windows desktop if i go with the homepod, so wondering if people got experiences on that.
(i have a homeserver so i could install stuff like home assistant if needed)

erihp

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2020
There is no direct support for controlling homekit from windows.

You could install home assistant and bridge your homekit devices into it and then control things from a browser or api, but thats pretty convoluted.

With a mini (or three) around the house you really dont need control from a windows machine if your phone and ipad can control the homekit accessories too. Once you have scenes and automations setup, between the voice control and Home app, you really dont need Windows to do anything.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
First some terminology and ground work....

matter is a new communication protocol, it specifies how commands are formatted, pretty much anything can support matter with a software update. Basically before device manufacturers would have to add their own native control, and add homekit, Alexa, or google home as separate code for each one. Now they can add matter and be compatible with all 3.

homekit is also a communication protocol.

Thread is a new type of wireless, It's designed with home automation in mind. It lower bandwidth than wifi, but is handles lots of devices well. You need specific radio hardware to use thread. for thread you'll need at least one thread border router (connects to both your home network, and the thread network, and moves data between the 2). Newer AppleTVs and homepods are thread border routers. It allows you to add devices from multiple manufacturers without having to add another box, like you do with hue.

another way to think of homekit and matter is as languages, just like English or Spanish, with their own vocabulary, and ways to format sentences. And just like people and languages, some devices can speak more than one, but as long as the controller and device both speak the same one, they can work together.
Thread is a way to communicate, like a cell phone, or land line. Both do kinda the same thing, but need specific hardware to make it happen.

there's not really anything as a matter gateway.

Thread and matter are 2 separate things, but both were released about the same time and developed with the other in mind.
You can do matter over thread, matter over wifi, homekit over thread.

Homepods and appleTVs, in addition to being thread border routers, are also homekit home hubs (the older models without thread are also home hubs). Which means they function as a centralized point of control for homekit. If your phone isn't at home, any automations will be run by the home hub. The HH will also act as a relay point if you're outside your home, letting you control your home on your phone from anywhere you have network access.

With matter, you can connect to multiple controllers, So your google home and iPhone can both control the same light, both speaking matter directly to the light. Both controllers are not really aware of the other, but if you turn it on with google, the light will tell apple that it's on.

now, on to the question.

windows machines can't control things using homekit or the home app.

BUT.... you can add matter devices to home assistant (currently beta, I think). With home assistant, you should be able to control your devices from the web interface on your PC. Home assistant also acts as a homekit translator, so any device in home assistant can be added to the home app on your apple devices

For me, I use siri much more than the home app to control things, so control from the PC might be less necessary than you think. You can create scenes, and just say "hey siri, gaming mode" which would bring up pre-set levels on your devices. You can Also ask for things by room, or by name. "hey siri, make the living room red" or "turn on the couch lamp" or "turn off all the lights" Home also supports zones, so you could assign rooms to upstairs or downstairs, and then you could also ask siri to "turn off the downstairs lights" Or rooms called "front yard" and "back yard" in a zone called outside.

There are also homekit buttons, so you could put a button by your PC that would bring up a gaming look when you press it, or turn everything off if you long press (most support regular, long, and double press) There's one from Onvis, which has 5 buttons on it, and they all support all 3, so 15 different actions. It connects via Thread. Others connect via Bluetooth, as long as your HomePod/appleTV is in the same room, or maybe through one wall, they might be ok. Thread will be more reliable though.

The least complicated option would probably be to keep it all in home. and just not try to control using your PC. Get a HomePod, so you can add thread devices. Put the HomePod where you think you'll be giving the most siri commands, especially if you don't usually have your phone with you in that room. Go with homekit or matter devices, And since you'll have the HP, that opens up to thread devices.

you can also go with an appleTV over a HomePod, The aTV is a pretty solid and well supported streaming box. You will loose the ability to just shout into the air for things (although your phone might hear you). The aTV is much better at being a streaming box, than the HomePod is at being a smart speaker. You can still use siri on the appleTV to control your house, but the TV must be on, and you have to hold a button on the remote, as opposed to just being able to speak to siri.

If you don't have an Apple Music subscription, the HomePod looses a lot of functionality. You'll be limited to airplay from your phone or PC for music.

Reactions: b17777

inuragon

macrumors member
Original poster
May 10, 2023
Thanks for the reply, had lots of information.
BUT.... you can add matter devices to home assistant (currently beta, I think). With home assistant, you should be able to control your devices from the web interface on your PC.
Can i add homekit devices too?

For me, I use siri much more than the home app to control things, so control from the PC might be less necessary than you think.
That could be one option, though i would need to research how well it works in Finnish since sadly i can't speak English well enough for voice recognition. (Finnish of course is such a small language it usually gets less development resources, google nest devices for example don't support it at all yet.)

If you don't have an Apple Music subscription, the HomePod looses a lot of functionality. You'll be limited to airplay from your phone or PC for music.
What kind of functionality? Can the homepod play apple music by itself instead of connecting to a phone?
(This is quite a downside since i'm currently using a spotify family account)

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
You can't add homekit devices to home assitant.
BUT... You may be able to add them another way. Things like hue are homekit compatible, but you can add them to home assistant using hue, but it would not be using the homekit connection.

You can easily have things like hue controlled by multiple things, I can control mine from...
  • homekit
  • the hue app
  • a couple "disco" apps that flash the lights to the music
  • some personal scripts that access the Hue API directly
  • a program called homeseer. (homeseer is an older alternative to home assistant, I've been using it for 20+ years, and it still works well, so haven't looked at home assistant too much, Might go with HA if I was starting today, but I'd have to research. )
I can turn on a hue light in homeseer or the hue app, and the control tile in the home app almost instantly lights up.

Siri is available in Finnish, so it should work. But even in her "native English" she sometimes has some problems here and there.

The player in the HomePod only really works with Apple Music. So if you want to use Spotify, then you'll need to use airplay to send it from the Spotify app on your phone. Apple has opened the player to other services, but no one has taken them up on it. I think pandora may work, not sure if US only or not.

When making scenes in homekit, you can include music if you want, but that has to be Apple Music. There are a few "ambient sounds" like pink noise, rain, forest, or waves that you can do without Apple Music.

If you have other airplay compatible speakers in your house, you can also include them, so it will play on the homepod, and use airplay to send to the other rooms.

erihp

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2020
everything stated is true, but as a beginner you may want to just stick with homekit instead of home assistant. if you still fine yourself needing to use your windows box to control things, then explore alternative solutions.

for a simple setup like you describe homekit is more than adequate and can be setup in minutes. plus you and will keep the hair on your head from going grey or being pulled out entirely!

get an ethernet connected appleTV (4k model), and a couple of homepod minis and you'll be set.

even when im working on my Macbook I dont ever feel the need to try to manually control devices from the laptop.

inuragon

macrumors member
Original poster
May 10, 2023
Ended up ordering one yeelight w4 bulb to test since they seem to have a pc app with screen sync feature and homekit support, so should at least in theory be a good solution for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.