Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

darwen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 12, 2005
California, US
Why would if make a difference what computer is being used to dual boot. As far as I can see, all of the intel macs should be able to dual boot. Can anyone explain why some computers would not be able to?

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
Also it appears that the 20" iMac Core Duos are unsupported until the update. I could be wrong but, that's what I've been hearing :) I'd do it now but, I don't want to re-format my iMac.

I've also noticed that the file you put in CoreServices, I guess that's what lets the intel Mac select the boot device at startup? Or no? Just wondering if an uninstall is easy incase it screws up or something.

Steve1496

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2004
The biggest reason some of the computers may not boot is graphics/vga. The CSM was developed on a 17" iMac, so that and 15"MBP will work (they use mostly the same hardware). The Mac Mini uses Intel GMA950 graphics, so the CSM had to be modified (the fill size) to fit the Mini's graphics.

It's correct that the 20" iMac did not work, but last night blanka (developer behind the project) and myself made some good progress. The problem is it freezes at "Setup is Copying Files". Hopefully we should be able to get a working version of xom.efi for 20"iMacs out soon.

iPhil

macrumors 68040
Even If vista could run native speed on x86 Mac (dual boot) i'd hate it.. :eek: :eek:

Reason why: xp/vista should stay on dell/hp etc.. I'd want str8 apple hardware/software <<IMHO..

I dont wanna have run anti-virus software on a mac even it would be windows' partition.. I already got enough win. hell as it is ..:eek: :eek: :eek:

Aurora

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2003
USA
iphil said:
Even If vista could run native speed on x86 Mac (dual boot) i'd hate it.. :eek: :eek:

Reason why: xp/vista should stay on dell/hp etc.. I'd want str8 apple hardware/software <<IMHO..

I dont wanna have run anti-virus software on a mac even it would be windows' partition.. I already got enough win. hell as it is ..:eek: :eek: :eek:

Why are you in this particular forum again?

BlueRevolution

macrumors 603
Jul 26, 2004
Montreal, QC
Steve1496 said:
The biggest reason some of the computers may not boot is graphics/vga. The CSM was developed on a 17" iMac, so that and 17"MBP will work (they use mostly the same hardware). The Mac Mini uses Intel GMA950 graphics, so the CSM had to be modified (the fill size) to fit the Mini's graphics.

17" MBP huh? do you have some information that should go up on the front page maybe? ;)

Aarow

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2005
iphil said:

Believe it or not but some people don't want two computers on their desk! Craziness.

iPhil

macrumors 68040
Aurora said:
Why are you in this particular forum again?

Windows on a Mac image degrades the apple experience for me,and if the 'user' has external monitor/tower (mac) then a KVM switch work too :eek:

Aarow said:
Believe it or not but some people don't want two computers on their desk! Craziness.

true.. but i don't want any M$ft OS or varient of it inside of my mac :eek: :eek: ..

this stuff i've said is IMHO .. and i'm just stating my opinion on the Win. on Mac issue :eek: :eek:

treblah

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2003
iphil said:
this stuff i've said is IMHO .. and i'm just stating my opinion on the Win. on Mac issue :eek: :eek:

IMHO your HO would be better suited for your own HBlog, not a sub forum dedicated to people who are/wanting to do this. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.