Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dj1891

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2015
Northern Ireland
I like many SE users have not been happy with my phone since iOS 14. The SE was always an odd phone anyway, it had the internals of a Ferrari the body of a Fiat Punto and the fuel tank of a Fiat Punto and this is where the problem lies.

New iOS brings new feature and it turn uses more power, the likes of the XR, 11 etc had enough in reserve to cope, the SE didn’t and it’s the reason why 7/8/SE 2020 users are struggling.

Do you think Apple will fix the issue or really is there nothing they can do about it? I know similar happened with the original SE

Khaleesi Kendall

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2020
The phone was just released like six months ago. It’ll have the same life span as the 11 likely. That being said, when you buy an SE you have to realize you are making concessions. To get a cheaper iPhone and a mostly uniform experience to the iOS ecosystem

1.Dated body for comfort in size
2. With that size, you’re going to have a weaker battery than the others to run the Os
3. Lower ram

overall, I don’t think it’s the end for your phone. My 7? Yes. The 8? Yes. Performance isn’t horrible on the 7 with iOS 14 however battery life is horrible.

Reactions: valleian

dj1891

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2015
Northern Ireland
The phone was just released like six months ago. It’ll have the same life span as the 11 likely. That being said, when you buy an SE you have to realize you are making concessions. To get a cheaper iPhone and a mostly uniform experience to the iOS ecosystem

1.Dated body for comfort in size
2. With that size, you’re going to have a weaker battery than the others to run the Os
3. Lower ram

overall, I don’t think it’s the end for your phone. My 7? Yes. The 8? Yes. Performance isn’t horrible on the 7 with iOS 14 however battery life is horrible.
This is the biggest bug bearer for me, the battery and im not even a heavy user, performance is great but it’s the battery can’t cope with iOS 14, I can’t be bothered worrying about whether or not my phone will last all day.

The likes of the 7/8 got a few years before battery went to ****, the SE was already **** in that department before we started.

Khaleesi Kendall

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2020
This is the biggest bug bearer for me, the battery and im not even a heavy user, performance is great but it’s the battery can’t cope with iOS 14, I can’t be bothered worrying about whether or not my phone will last all day.

The likes of the 7/8 got a few years before battery went to ****, the SE was already **** in that department before we started.

thats just a concession/sacrifice you make for the choice of the Se. I adored my Og se and I even considered the new Se as my secondary phone but outside the camera, there wasn’t a major reason topay 400 for a Se which is just a 7 with a nice camera and better display at the same size.

remington79

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2020
I don’t think it’s the end of it. I have the new SE and while the battery isn’t as good on 14 as 13 it’s starting to stabilize after a week or so. It has good and bad days. There was a version of 13 that killed people’s batteries but it didn’t have that effect on my phone.
It serves a niche. It has new tech and has a good price. I needed to upgrade two phones at the same time and would not have been able to afford to otherwise. Now I can space out future upgrades.
Now I can also wait for the kinks to get worked out of the 5G antennas and wait for the 2nd generation antennas to come out and for Touch ID to come back in some form.

Natzoo

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
On my Xs max, the battery life is not that great on IOS 14. I end the day with about 5.5-6 hours of screen on time and 10% of battery.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
The SE was always an odd phone anyway, it had the internals of a Ferrari the body of a Fiat Punto and the fuel tank of a Fiat Punto and this is where the problem lies.

I don't know anybody who would say that. A13/3GB RAM isn't a Ferrari in 2020.

I agree with the fuel tank analogy. But everybody knew SE had the smallest battery since 2016. It's a $399 iPhone.

Reactions: sportsnut

chaoslimits

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2019
NJ
I'm still using my OG SE (2016). Can't deal with the iPhone 6 form factor so riding it out till the wheels fall off. Hopefully it's back to normal after I swap out the battery today.

Deinocheirus

Suspended
Oct 5, 2020
I like many SE users have not been happy with my phone since iOS 14. The SE was always an odd phone anyway, it had the internals of a Ferrari the body of a Fiat Punto and the fuel tank of a Fiat Punto and this is where the problem lies.

New iOS brings new feature and it turn uses more power, the likes of the XR, 11 etc had enough in reserve to cope, the SE didn’t and it’s the reason why 7/8/SE 2020 users are struggling.

Do you think Apple will fix the issue or really is there nothing they can do about it? I know similar happened with the original SE
WTF are you talking about? It is an iPhone 11 inside an iPhone 8 case. It will run great for the next many, many iOS versions.

Reactions: remington79

dj1891

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2015
Northern Ireland
WTF are you talking about? It is an iPhone 11 inside an iPhone 8 case. It will run great for the next many, many iOS versions.
You've missed the point entirely. We're not arguing about that, its the battery life issue, which Apple probably won't fix as the SE 2020 is thrown in with 6/7/8

Deinocheirus

Suspended
Oct 5, 2020
You've missed the point entirely. We're not arguing about that, its the battery life issue, which Apple probably won't fix as the SE 2020 is thrown in with 6/7/8
What battery life issue? Both of my parents have SE 2020 running iOS 14. The battery is fine. So what issue you have imagined that is surely Apple's fault and is not the result of your usage?

remington79

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2020
What battery life issue? Both of my parents have SE 2020 running iOS 14. The battery is fine. So what issue you have imagined that is surely Apple's fault and is not the result of your usage?
For me the battery issue is once I get on to surf the web or watch videos my battery seems to drop faster than it did with 13.7

Deinocheirus

Suspended
Oct 5, 2020
For me the battery issue is once I get on to surf the web or watch videos my battery seems to drop faster than it did with 13.7

"Seems to". Very scientific. Must be Apple's fault. Couldn't possibly be that, as always, you're using it a little more on iOS 14 than 13, so slightly more drain.
Its well reported over on the iOS 14 battery life thread man or here on the apple developer forum https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/649880
You mean the same nonsense that is "reported" every single year after every single update? No thanks.

Reactions: tt061282

remington79

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2020
"Seems to". Very scientific. Must be Apple's fault. Couldn't possibly be that, as always, you're using it a little more on iOS 14 than 13, so slightly more drain.
You mean the same nonsense that is "reported" every single year after every single update? No thanks.
If you read my original post I was in quarantine when I started the thread and had the same usage before and after the update.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.