Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Inkedweezel

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2017
[doublepost=1487256930][/doublepost]I have the same SSID, and a very strong 2.4ghz signal on ch 6, and a moderate 5ghz signal on ch 149...my Apple devices always seem to default to the 5ghz option.
My TWC cable modem/Router, always switches to the 2.4 SSID even though I have previously set it to the 5G.
My i-Pad Air2 is less than 4 feet from the router. I have tried multiple channels. At the suggestion of TWC, I tried two other things.
I bought a Netgear Nighthawk C700 router, connected it to my TWC Router, disabled the modem on the TWC Router, and this would solve all my prank I would save $11.00 a month.
That didn't work.
They then had me disable the 2.4 network. That worked, but now that we want an Air-Print compatible Printer, I have to enable the 2.4 side again to be able to print wirelessly.
So, now I am back to the original problem. We have two identical i-Pads, the same distance from the TWC Router, and have the same switching issue.
TWC has given up, and blamed the "environment" the router is in. Suggesting some type of interference.
I called BS, because we never had this problem, when Verizon was our ISP.
I've given up on ISPs for any real Technical help.

philbake1

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2017
My TWC cable modem/Router, always switches to the 2.4 SSID even though I have previously set it to the 5G.
My i-Pad Air2 is less than 4 feet from the router. I have tried multiple channels. At the suggestion of TWC, I tried two other things.
I bought a Netgear Nighthawk C700 router, connected it to my TWC Router, disabled the modem on the TWC Router, and this would solve all my prank I would save $11.00 a month.
That didn't work.
They then had me disable the 2.4 network. That worked, but now that we want an Air-Print compatible Printer, I have to enable the 2.4 side again to be able to print wirelessly.
So, now I am back to the original problem. We have two identical i-Pads, the same distance from the TWC Router, and have the same switching issue.
TWC has given up, and blamed the "environment" the router is in. Suggesting some type of interference.
I called BS, because we never had this problem, when Verizon was our ISP.
I've given up on ISPs for any real Technical help.
[doublepost=1490717491][/doublepost]I'm using an Asus TM-AC1900 router (supplied by T-Mobile). I've found that my Apple devices almost always gravitate to the 5ghz signal. Perhaps there's something else at work like throughput rate testing, I'm not sure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.