Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

h8chir6ku

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 16, 2018
I just bought a brand new iPhone SE from an official apple reseller a few days ago.

I do not plan on turning on the phone or activating it until I need to use the phone.

Does warranty begin from the date the invoice was issued? Or based on the actual day I first activate my iPhone? My phone has yet to be activated as reflected when I check the serial number on apple's site.

I know the Apple T&Cs mention that it begins on the date the item was purchased. But if I am "unable" to produce the invoice how would it work? Wouldn't they just base it off the activation date? I'm always hearing 50/50 responses whether it's purchase or activation date.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
From the invoice day / day of delivery I’d say. Don’t think You can claim warranty repairs if you’ve stored the device without activating for a long period and then either the chipset corrode or the battery becomes unusable.

DaveOP

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Portland, OR
I just bought a brand new iPhone SE from an official apple reseller a few days ago.

I do not plan on turning on the phone or activating it until I need to use the phone.

Does warranty begin from the date the invoice was issued? Or based on the actual day I first activate my iPhone? My phone has yet to be activated as reflected when I check the serial number on apple's site.

I know the Apple T&Cs mention that it begins on the date the item was purchased. But if I am "unable" to produce the invoice how would it work? Wouldn't they just base it off the activation date? I'm always hearing 50/50 responses whether it's purchase or activation date.
They will only honor the warranty from an Apple Authorized reseller, and those resellers report the purchase date to Apple. There is no "oops, I lost the receipt" type of coverage. If they can't detect the purchase date, you'd have to provide proof of purchase, or it'll be considered out of warranty.

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
I purchased an iPhone 7 as a birthday gift for my niece last year. The phone was purchased one month before her birthday and it was not activated until the day it was unwrapped, which was 30 or so days after I bought it. The warranty start was from the date I purchased it from the Apple Store, not when she powered it on and put her SIM in it. I don't think it matters but it was an unlocked model purchased from the Apple Store at full retail price.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
The underlying system works as follows:

1. Purchased from Apple directly - from when it's purchased/shipped
2. Purchased from reseller - if you have the receipt, it'll be the date on the receipt. If the reseller logs the purchase date, from that date. If you don't have the receipt and the reseller didn't log the purchase date, it will be from the ship date - i.e. the date it was shipped to the reseller.

bjrjar

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2017
If you don’t at least see if it works when you first get it, I think you’re making a mistake. My many years in field service for one of the biggest computer companies tells me that first time out of the box failures are extremely possible. I would advise at least checking it out as soon as possible.

Bob

bingeciren

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2011
I bought mine from Apple Online and it was mailed to me. I also bought Apple Care+ at the same time. I was away on a trip and as a result I could activate the phone 3 weeks after it was delivered. Now, my Apple Care+ status shows the activation date as the beginning of the coverage rather than the purchase date.

This confirms what jav6454 is saying.

ras113

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2017
Same here.. purchased 10 days before activation, and warranty is from activation day..

What you could do is take imei number att check on apple ...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.