Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Christian 5G

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 16, 2010
Orange County, CA
Hello,

I am about to hit T-mobile store and wondering Before I make a purchase.

If I buy the iPhone XS from Tmobile store, will it be unlocked for carriers like Verizon?

Thanks all for your input!

I know it might come locked for a few weeks, months, or whatever the policy is with every carrier, but I just need to know if I can use it with both CDMA and GSM

**Update: Learned that theres no difference between the two with new Intel chip inside and can be used with either of the carrier.

Last edited:

Christian 5G

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 16, 2010
Orange County, CA
Sprint and Verizon use CDMA... T-moble is GSM
Thank you for your input.
Upon verifying and doing research one them I found that they are actually both supporting CDMA and GSM because of new Intel chip.
Checked and compared the bands and they are identical with gsm and cdma which means that there's really no difference.

This is the first year apple did that with iPhone.

Heres some quick read article if anyone is interested
https://www.pcmag.com/news/363740/warning-there-are-4-different-iphone-xs-models

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Thank you for your input.
Upon verifying and doing research one them I found that they are actually both supporting CDMA and GSM because of new Intel chip.
Checked and compared the bands and they are identical with gsm and cdma which means that there's really no difference.

This is the first year apple did that with iPhone.

Heres some quick read article if anyone is interested
https://www.pcmag.com/news/363740/warning-there-are-4-different-iphone-xs-models
You said iPhone X.. If you meant Xs then yes they all support both..

gurase

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2015
If you buy it from the T-Mobile store I believe it will be locked to T-Mobile. Not sure what their unlock policy is if you pay full price.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.