Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

beerseagulls

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 18, 2021
does it make sense to keep paying $13.49/month for AppleCare with Theft/Loss on old iPhone 14 Pro Max?

I was using the phone until I gave it to a family member. This family member is known as "The Dropper"(pretty much self-explanatory, eh?) :)

I figured that for just $13.49, the peace of mind is worth it... (since the coverage should cover just about everything, short of deliberation destruction of the phone, obviously) but of course, I never worked the numbers to see if it makes any financial sense? Seems to me that it's should be fine for the first 2 or 3 years? Or am I wrong?

CMoore515

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2015
Des Moines, IA
If they're "The Dropper" and you would be the person they'd come too for help, I'd say yes. Even if for your own sanity. 😂

If the cost is the holdup, make them pay you monthly to pay it.

Reactions: MacCheetah3

beerseagulls

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 18, 2021
If they're "The Dropper" and you would be the person they'd come too for help, I'd say yes. Even if for your own sanity. 😂

If the cost is the holdup, make them pay you monthly to pay it.

forgot to mention that this person has also drowned a phone before.... :) will keep the AppleCare... no sense in worrying about it, right? :)

PegasusTenma

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2014
Why wouldn’t it make sense? Is not like the 14 Pro Max dropped in price 80% or anything of the sorts that you can say “Oh, I’ll just go and buy a new one!” without burning a hole in your wallet if they break it. Is still going to cost you massively to repair or replace Without AC+

I personally have it because in the span of one month I had my iPhone stolen and then broke the screen of my new one. All of this after 14 generations of iPhones without breaking or losing a single one.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
Personally I’d just buy a robust case so “The Dropper” can do dropper things without anything untoward happening.

That way you can cancel AC+ and save a considerable sum over the span of the year.

I drop my 13 often and the phone is still perfect with zero cosmetic damage.

Last edited:

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
IMO yes but we have no idea what finances you have. 13.49 a month could be nothing for some, and the difference between saving extra for rent.

Hele

macrumors member
May 14, 2022
Rhode Island
I pay the $13.49 which includes theft and loss. I’m on interest-free payment #6 on my iPhone 14 ProMax, sans case and screen protector, with a balance of around $1K. I can get a 15 PM if/when I want or keep this one and wait for the 16PM. But that’s me. Why would you sweat this? Just pay the money.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.