Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MikeDr206

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 9, 2021
So I got a few cheapo AirTag holders off Amazon. All the pictures I’ve seen always show the metal/Apple logo side of an AirTag facing out (I.e., visible or exposes) in a holder.

Is there any reason this needs to be the case? I.e., could I have it so that the white plastic side faces outward?

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
How else are you going to let people know you are an elite Apple owner? It’s just cosmetic. There’s no reason for it to even be visible.

Reactions: MikeDr206

seinman

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2011
Philadelphia
This discussion came up when they first came out, and I did a comparison between white-side-out and silver-side-out. White-side-out makes the sound it plays ~10db louder, measured from a foot away with an Apple Watch. So if you care more about how it looks than functions, whichever way looks better to you. If you care about functionality, it's gotta be the white side facing out.

Coffee50

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2015
So I got a few cheapo AirTag holders off Amazon. All the pictures I’ve seen always show the metal/Apple logo side of an AirTag facing out (I.e., visible or exposes) in a holder.

Is there any reason this needs to be the case? I.e., could I have it so that the white plastic side faces outward?

I think that's primarily for marketing. Every promo image will show the logo, so you know the branding. If it's just the white side displayed in photos, it just looks like a generic white tab.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.