Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shenfrey

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 23, 2010
I thought when I subscribed it would get rid of them, but they’re still there and I think it’s something Apple could have easily prevented with the paid subscription.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Ads in Apple News is the #1 reason why I don't use it. I have no problem paying for news. I have a problem when I pay for news and get ads in my face making it difficult to read.

I pay for Economist, Ars Technica, and up until recently 3-4 other subscriptions.

Economist / WSJ / and other major newspapers still blast your face with ads when you subscribe to them but at least you can read them with an adblocking browser. Ars Technica doesn't do ads for subscribers - one reason why I've been a paying member for a long time - looks great on an iPad 11' Pro as well.

But yeah, I HATE ads. I pay Macrumors to get rid of ads even though I have an adblocker because I realize that companies have to make $. I have no problem paying for what I consume. I have a big problem with ads when I pay. At least reduce the amount of ads. Some articles are 50-60% ads.... I'd quit my Apple sub if it was just Apple News I was getting... but ... Music, TV, Fitness, iCloud ... make it worth it to me.

Reactions: Luba and shenfrey

fwmireault

Contributor
Jul 4, 2019
Montréal, Canada
Yes, I find that very annoying, especially from a company like Apple. I have no problem with the free version of the app showing ads, but as long as I'm paying for this service, I expect 0 ads on the service, both for the news and the magazines. It's the only paid service from Apple that displays advertising (except the Apple TV + teasers but it also aims to introduce us to new content so that doesn't bother me).

I'm all for the financial support of the media, but a paid service has to bring benefits and Apple News is not a very good experience in that regard. I suspect, however, that Apple will do nothing in this regard until the service is profitable (and I have a feeling that won't happen in the short term). Maybe they should create an ad free tiers for Apple News (and as a Apple One Premier subscriber, I would expect that this tiers would be included in my bundle).

Reactions: Luba and shenfrey

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
Apple obviously needs the revenue and can’t be bothered with your bad experience with ads. In fact they’ll probably only get worse.

WebHead

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2004
I guess because Apple has to pay its sources it eats into the subscription revenue and they have to make it up somehow. Media companies receive a pittance as it is.

Disclaimer: I'm a mainstream media employee.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
Yes, I am very annoyed that  news are you looking for car insurance look no further that Gall StateFarms
our operators are standing by, call now! included ads so i stopped using  news upon Mojave launch in 2019.

JacquesleMac

macrumors regular
May 24, 2010
Oxford, UK
What annoys me is that News is a mix of minor news stories+ puff pieces/non-news/trivia. Lots of images, thin content. The idea of paying £10 a month for this when Guardian & BBC news are free, and WaPo offer a 50p per week subscription, is ludicrous.

Apple need to get serious about News or get out of the market.

And yes, the ads are a PITA.

Reactions: mrsmith1

mrsmith1

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2017
Nottingham, England
I‘m on a free trial at the moment and I’ve got to say I’m a bit disappointed. Full of ads and the news stories are about 90% from The Times. Not sure I’ll carry on when the free trial ends.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.