Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
Yes to all, including iOS updates.

I'm using 12.6.4 still, I don't do OTA software updates, have less issues as a result. I had to do this for iOS 11.3.1 (& 11.4): To update iOS just download IPSW, can find various places, (should be sourced from apple servers), I like osxdaily they are prompt at getting them up and a straightforward site. Put it in ~(user)/library/iTunes/iPhone Software Updates folder. (If your library folder is invisible, search on how to make your library folder visible.) Then go to iTunes connect your idevice, hold down option key press "Check for update" this will open that folder, click on the correct IPSW file and it just works.

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
^ Is there an advantage to the IPSW method over OTA, assuming you have a wifi connection for your phone?

The real issue to me is being able to restore directly from itunes should the need arise.

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
You can still do a restore and everything else with iTunes 12.6.4, it just won't download the newest version of iOS, you have to download it and put in the software updates folder as I said above (you can find more detailed instructions in a search).

As I said already, I don't do OTA updates. The advantage is this: When you do an OTA update, you download a smaller file, and what happens is, the appropriate changes are made to iOS. In reality, this can not be as reliable as using iTunes. When you update via iTunes (IPSW), you download the entire iOS file, and iTunes completely replaces the old iOS with the new iOS. There are more variables where something might go wrong with OTA updates than with iTunes.

So, the plus for OTA is convenience and it might be faster, however, some people complain about instability or issues with the same iDevice I have, and I'm not having that issue, it's just not 100% reliable.

The plus for iTunes (IPSW), is that you are completely replacing the old iOS with the new iOS, it's more reliable, less likely to develop instability or issues. The downside is it is not convenient and may take longer. (But you can have it running while you're eating dinner or don't need your idevice for a few minutes.)

The only thing that may become a problem is if Apple does not update 12.6 after they introduce new idevices...those new idevices might not sync with iTunes.

Mr_Brightside_@

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2005
Toronto
Yes to all, including iOS updates.

I'm using 12.6.4 still, I don't do OTA software updates, have less issues as a result. I had to do this for iOS 11.3.1 (& 11.4): To update iOS just download IPSW, can find various places, (should be sourced from apple servers), I like osxdaily they are prompt at getting them up and a straightforward site. Put it in ~(user)/library/iTunes/iPhone Software Updates folder. (If your library folder is invisible, search on how to make your library folder visible.) Then go to iTunes connect your idevice, hold down option key press "Check for update" this will open that folder, click on the correct IPSW file and it just works.
THIS IS SO FSCKING USEFUL THANKS

I updated to 12.7 for 11.3.1 then rolled back to 12.6 afterward, had no clue you could do a manual option+update.

photoBob

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2018
You can still do a restore and everything else with iTunes 12.6.4, it just won't download the newest version of iOS, you have to download it and put in the software updates folder as I said above (you can find more detailed instructions in a search).

Just to be 100% clear- I just installed iTunes 12.6.4.3, and if I use iPhone_4.7_11.2.6_15D100_Restore.ipsw to update iPhone (6S) to iOS 11.4.1, I will still be able to do full backups to desktop, download & update apps via iTunes, and maintain same functionality (minus ability to do further updates to iTunes/iOS from iTunes 12.6.4.3) as I was able to do with iOS 11.2.6 (and iTunes 12.6.2)? I am also thinking of updating from Sierra to High Sierra on my iMac, and wonder if that will have any effect- would just have to reinstall iTunes 12.6.4.3 afterwards.

Just better safe than sorry.

Thanks.

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
Just to be 100% clear- I just installed iTunes 12.6.4.3, and if I use iPhone_4.7_11.2.6_15D100_Restore.ipsw to update iPhone (6S) to iOS 11.4.1, I will still be able to do full backups to desktop, download & update apps via iTunes, and maintain same functionality (minus ability to do further updates to iTunes/iOS from iTunes 12.6.4.3) as I was able to do with iOS 11.2.6 (and iTunes 12.6.2)? I am also thinking of updating from Sierra to High Sierra on my iMac, and wonder if that will have any effect- would just have to reinstall iTunes 12.6.4.3 afterwards.

Just better safe than sorry.

Thanks.
That filename you are referring to is for 11.2.6. You will not be able to download the latest software update through iTunes. You need to find the latest .ipsw, I like to use this site, (but, there are others as well): http://osxdaily.com/2018/07/09/ios-11-4-1-update-download-ipsw/ They are pretty quick to post the links when the new iOS comes out.

I am still using Sierra and iTunes 12.6.4.3 and able to put the latest software updates on my iPhone (SE). You just have to download the latest software when it comes out and follow the procedures I wrote above (see #3). EDIT: NOTE: I do not know if iOS 12 will work with iTunes 12.6 or not. I may work just fine, but, not sure.

As far as updating to High Sierra, that depends on which iMac you have. I have waited to update as Apple has not provided the detailed information about the APFS spec to developers of disc utility apps, and until they do, I will hold back. Also know that if you have an SSD as your main drive, High Sierra will automatically convert it to APFS format. In any case, if you do upgrade to High Sierra, do not open iTunes, and do not use "update all" in software update. Depending on what version of iTunes is included with High Sierra install, you may have to do some things to get things back to where you want. There is an article on downgrading 12.7 to 12.6 somewhere. EDIT: Scratch that, if you are going to upgrade to High Sierra, you need to save specific iTunes system files. If you plan on upgrading, I may be able to locate the information you need, let me know.

Last edited:

photoBob

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2018
Oops, you are right, I should have said iPhone_4.7_11.4.1_15G77_Restore.

If I go up to iOS 11.4.1, I can wait a while to go to 12. I just figured once it comes out, I won't be able to have Apple sign 11.4.1, so that is why I was thinking to do this in the next few weeks. I really want to keep ability to manage apps & such in iTunes, and not OTA. That is more important than latest iOS if I have to choose. Eventually, I will have to bite the bullet, and give up that convenience & security, unless Apple comes up with a better solution, but I am not hopeful.

I have the iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015), with a combo drive- 2TB HD, smaller SSD. So not sure if it would convert in that case, but if it does, is that an issue, and why? And, I assume once Mojave comes out, I won't be able to get HS anymore. So then I would be two versions back. I have download iTunes 12.6.4.3, so I know how to roll it back, but I appreciate warning about not running installed version of iTunes in case it changes libraries or whatever. So if you could find a link to the files I would need to save I would appreciate it. I back up my boot drive every night, so I would always have that copy for 24 hours, but better really safe, than really sorry.

Thanks.

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
You say "combo drive" is that a fusion drive? If so, HS won't automatically convert it to APFS format, which is good. The problem, again, is that disk utilities (outside of Apple's own) are not fully compatible with APFS format because Apple has not made known all the details developers need. For example, Alsoft's Disk Warrior can recognize APFS discs, but, can't do anything with them, they say this about their disk utilitiy: "The next major release of DiskWarrior will include the ability to rebuild APFS disks. Our developers are waiting for Apple to release the final APFS format documentation in order to safely rebuild APFS disks."

You can download HS anytime and not install it. You can then also make a copy of the installer (and put in another folder or another disk). Once installed you can then use the updates tab of app store for security and other updates for HS.

https://www.macworld.com/article/32...stall-itunes-1263-and-replace-itunes-127.html
http://osxdaily.com/2017/09/17/downgrade-itunes-12-7-to-itunes-12-6/

photoBob

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2018
Yes, fusion drive. So I will make sure I do not select that option (if presented) as I do have DW, and don't want to have to upgrade it again anytime soon.

That's an idea- I was able to find it, download it- about 5.23GB- but not install it.

Thanks for the to links- in reading them, it seems like they are doing the same thing, although one is saying to to use terminal to remove iTunes 12.7 first, while the other is saying to just install 12.6.3 (or in my case, 12.6.4.3) over it.

At this point I am not sure if I should backup phone, try installing 11.4.1, and see if it works, then later update to HS, or update to HS first, then downgrade iTunes to 12.6.4.3, then try to update phone to 11.4.1...

photoBob

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2018
Just an update- last night I was able to successfully update iPhone to 11.4.1 while tethered to iMac, through iTunes 12.6.4.3, forcing it to use that ipsw file. Everything seems fine on phone, and I am able to use that version of iTunes to back it up, and update apps still. Have held off on High Sierra for now. Thanks for your help.

Reactions: benji888 and vjl323

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
(The readme states that it is for compatibility with iOS 11, I think they forgot to update that, that's leftover from 12.6.4)....

I can confirm I successfully updated my iPhone SE to iOS 12.0 via iTunes 12.6.5.3 (macOS Sierra), using an .ipsw I downloaded with method described above.

getrealbro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2015
minor update to iTunes 12.6.5 quietly released on the 12th, I assume to add compatibility for newest iOS devices: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208079

downloading iOS 12.0 .ipsw now, will verify it works, (it should), later today.
Thanks for the heads up. But the link you provided does not appear to include a way to download iTunes 12.6.5 :( Do you have another link?

FWIW I’m running iTunes 12.6.4 on OS X 10.11.6 with several iPhones running iOS 11.4.1. It works OK for local backups and app store updates as long as the iPhones are plugged in. BUT it is seriously messed up when attempting wireless syncing.

Get Real Bro

Minorite

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2018
Poland
From what I've seen recently Apple plans to stop updating 12.6.xx branch and you won't be able to install it on Mojave. Have you seen any proofs?

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
From what I've seen recently Apple plans to stop updating 12.6.xx branch and you won't be able to install it on Mojave. Have you seen any proofs?
There's already a thread about this here somewhere. You cannot install 12.6.4 or 12.6.5 without some workarounds. I don't know if it's fully functional once you do these steps. You'll want to look for the thread that covers it.
Edit: iTunes 12.6.5 not working in Mojave

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.