Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

censa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 15, 2018
im having some issue with my iphone 5s, and i need to restore it.but i dont want to lose my whatsapp data..i cant make a backup with icloud because its not working (im having a storage issue on the phone)..so i thought avout making a full backup with itunes and then restore the iphone from that backup..my question is "simple", "Does itunes backup whatsapp data, like chat, picture and videos too?"

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
It’s been a long time since I used iTunes but it never used to.
Storage issue with phone? Pay the £0.79 for more iCloud storage.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
so itunes doesn't backup whatsapp data too?
iTunes should backup WhatsApp data unless WhatsApp data is stored at somewhere iTunes backup does not cover. I don't have a confirmation on that though.

Willywy

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2019
I saw an answer like this in Quora: https://www.quora.com/Does-WhatsApp-chat-gets-backed-up-from-an-iPhone-using-iTunes
It seems that iTunes can indeed back up WhatsApp, but only recovers WhatsApp messages by restoring the entire backup package. If this is exactly what you need, then this is indeed a viable option. But if you don't want to back up WhatsApp messages by backing up the entire device, then you might as well try other ways to back up WhatsApp separately. For example, use iCloud.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.