Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cleanair

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 13, 2015
Is it basically fake glass?

I missed the feel of the glass on back of iPhone 4. Is iPhone 8 basically a return to that glass of iPhone 4 for a better feel? Would it be a good idea to put a bumper instead of a full cover on the iPhone 8 so that you can feel the glass?

Also would it be good idea to put a glass shield for iPhone 7? Which glass film is the best?

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Nov 15, 2012
Looks like glass but the feel is light to touch. Yes fake glass feel but in a good way.

danilko1

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2010
What???

I have the Jet Black. I have never once thought of it being glassy or glass like, fake glass.
It is a highly polished aluminum surface, painted or anodized. There are plenty of aluminum parts out there just like it. I have HDD enclosures which are both silver and black, glossy. Not once did I think or consider them glass like.
There is no attempt by any one to fake a glass enclosure.
I can say, that actual glass feels superior and luxurious.
The Jet Black iPhone, does try to create such an experience, of luxuriousness.

Last edited:
Reactions: KONVICTED

FoxD

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2010
It kind of does but when you feel the X or 8 Plus, it feels better than the 7.

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
It feels like the 5c to me. Which is more like a slippery plastic.

Not complaining, the blue 5c is my favorite color and feel out of all the phones I own with the 7 Plus next.

Only difference is I wouldn't dare use my 7 Plus without a case. A clear or semi clear one does the job.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Apr 11, 2014
USA
I felt like it felt like the 5c. To me at least. I like it tbh but I heard it scratches a lot.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I felt like it felt like the 5c. To me at least. I like it tbh but I heard it scratches a lot.

Yes, it's nearly impossible to not have the iPhone 7 Jet black not scratch. Apple even has a disclaimer stating that the Jet black model is likely prone to micro abrasion's due to the finish.

danilko1

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2010
Yes, it's nearly impossible to not have the iPhone 7 Jet black not scratch. Apple even has a disclaimer stating that the Jet black model is likely prone to micro abrasion's due to the finish.

I put a transparent skin on the back of my Jet Black iPhone 7+ and also iPhone X... It's kept the 7+ scratch free. The person who buy's it years from now, hopefully will appreciate it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.