Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jacdem

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 9, 2010
I have a Macbook pro 15 mid2012 and an Ipad mini retina. I wanted to use Handoff but I didn't find "allow handoff" in system preferences. I tried to use yosemite continuity tool and It showed me my macbook pro has no bluetooth 4.0 support.
My computer is recorded on apple website and everymac as having bluetooth 4.0. I wanted to know if there is a problem with my macbook specifically or do all macbook pro 15 mid2012?
your answer is highly appreciated
PS. I have the macbook pro 15 mid2012, 512mb video card and 1680x1050

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
I have a Macbook pro 15 mid2012 and an Ipad mini retina. I wanted to use Handoff but I didn't find "allow handoff" in system preferences. I tried to use yosemite continuity tool and It showed me my macbook pro has no bluetooth 4.0 support.
My computer is recorded on apple website and everymac as having bluetooth 4.0. I wanted to know if there is a problem with my macbook specifically or do all macbook pro 15 mid2012?

Your Mac is on the supported list. Have you got Bluetooth turned on in sys prefs?

jdphoto

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2014

That macbook pro does have bluetooth 4.0 and is a supported model for handoff. Follow the steps at the link below, they should help you get set up.

http://support.apple.com/en-us/TS5458

jacdem

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 9, 2010
Thank you for your replies. That is the weird thing I am experiencing with my macbook pro. Everywhere I find that my computer should be able to use handoff but actually it cannot. I am posting here the content of the bluetooth

Apple Bluetooth Software Version: 4.3.1f2 15015
Hardware, Features, and Settings:
Address: 10-9A-DD-B5-87-8C
Bluetooth Low Energy Supported: No
Handoff Supported: No
Instant Hotspot Supported: No
Manufacturer: Broadcom
Transport: USB
Chipset: Unknown (ffff)
Firmware Version: v42 c846
Bluetooth Power: Off
Discoverable: Off
Auto Seek Pointing: On
Remote wake: On
Vendor ID: 0x05AC
Product ID: 0x8218
HCI Version: 0x4
HCI Revision: 0x34E
LMP Version: 0x4
LMP Subversion: 0x422A
Auto Seek Keyboard: On

Does my macbook pro have the same bluetooth module as the others?

dokterdok

macrumors member
May 6, 2010
Based on the product id you mentioned, the Bluetooth chip is the same as the one in some pre-2012 Macs (e.g. MacBook Pro 2010), and supports Bluetooth 2.1 EDR but not higher.
You might have been misguided about your Mac production year, or an old card happens to be installed in it.

If you want to check your Mac product year:
Go to  > About This Mac
The year should be set next to your MacBook Pro model.

Three options to get Handoff working:
  • Replace your AirPort card with a Continuity compatible one and apply the Continuity Activation Tool. Many helpful threads like this one can guide you with this.
  • Wait for the release of Continuity Activation Tool 2 (expect it before Christmas) and get a compatible USB Bluetooth 4.0 dongle.
  • Get a new Mac ;)

jacdem

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 9, 2010
Thank you Dokterdok. below I am posting my computer hardware information. Someone changed the bluetooth module or what happened? I will try to follow your advice but I will be happy to know if the computer I have have been opened to change things inside.
Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro9,1
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2.3 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Boot ROM Version: MBP91.00D3.B08
SMC Version (system): 2.1f175
Serial Number (system): C02KFFXSDV33
Hardware UUID: A6DAA146-E3E5-57BB-A39C-F510B588B57C
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled

jacdem

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 9, 2010
I bought it second hand but the battery cycle was just 12. The seller assured me it has never been opened. I can see he was lying. I have very frequent internet connection drops. May be related too. if not the specifications of the computer showed it should support hand off. I don't know if the Bluetooth module is the original one or if it is a replacement.
Sorry for my bad english

abn0rma1

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2014
I bought it second hand but the battery cycle was just 12. The seller assured me it has never been opened. I can see he was lying. I have very frequent internet connection drops. May be related too. if not the specifications of the computer showed it should support hand off. I don't know if the Bluetooth module is the original one or if it is a replacement.
Sorry for my bad english

Ah - unfortunately it sounds like there may have been some foul play/dishonesty by the seller. Perhaps some parts were re-salvaged or replaced then as if it were stock configuration it should be fine.

aramism

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2015
is there a way to get bluetooth 4.2 on a mid-2012 15" macbook pro retina?

all the aftermarket wifi/bt cards have upgraded wifi but the bluetooth still says 4.0. any compatible cards with 4.2?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.