Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Keblar

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 5, 2019
Santiago, Chile
I was wondering this since my Mac was functioning without problems. Then I installed Big Sur in a different partition and now my eGPU crashes in Windows 10 and macOS Catalina! Before Big Sur, everything worked excellent!

I resorted to erase my drive, install a fresh copy of Catalina via recovery mode and also a new copy of Windows 10...but the problem persists!

Using a Sonnet Breakaway Box 350 with a MSI Radeon RX 480 hooked via HDMI 2.0 and Thunderbolt 3 to my 2018 Mac mini. Any suggestions? Please iam desperate!

Ps: One of the reasons I ask if the firmware gets updated is because after erasing my drive and installing Catalina all over again, I still get the Mac chime. My Mac came without the chime from the factory.

Keblar

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 5, 2019
Santiago, Chile
Yes, there is an update. No, it’s not easy to revert, but is doable with a little patience.

Thanks so much for your reply and info. Unfortunately I just can’t afford of bricking my Mac Mini by following the procedure you mention in the link. I know it might be easy to some, but I don’t have the guts to try it out, after all, the computer runs fine without the eGPU connected. My question is: do you think Apple will fix this eGPU bug when Big Sur is released in September, early October?

is this eGPU error product of the Big Sur Public Beta Install? If I play a game or edit video in Mac OS with the eGPU connected the Mac freezes and goes to black screen then it reboots. In Windows 10 it throws a BSOD with memory management error or some other problem.

Thanks for your help!

TrevorR90

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2009
Damn, good thing I checked this subforum before attempting the public beta update. Don't want me firmware to be updated and my bootcamp partition to not work!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.