Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ronno

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2014
A billion + monthly users, so that ship has sailed...
I have my own email server, but still use Gmail for various other purposes.
[doublepost=1465941226][/doublepost]Actually the main reason I use Gmail is that it's web-based contact management is the best (and most reliable) I have found.

By the way ajiuo, are you saying that you don't use any Google services?

Search?
Maps?
Waze?
Drive?
Docs?
Chrome?

Because if so, you might as well be using Gmail :)

Alright, that's the end of this rant now.

macgeek88

Suspended
Jan 16, 2013
Illinois
I'm not making excuses. I'm wondering why anyone would use gmail in the first place.

Why wonder? Gmail is a BIG name in webmail. Great filters, great spam control, great web UI, great reliability. I certainly hope you aren't referring to the whole FUD surrounding them and privacy which is way blown out of proportion.

I mean it knocks iCloud Mail dead flat. With their horrible web UI and their known downtime and outages unless you never use email for anything except random emails to family I wouldn't recommend it.

Outlook.com is okay (they are getting way better with the move to Office 365/Exchange style email), but I don't use anything Microsoft and it isn't for me. I mean I don't have an Android device either, but Google stuff works so great with iOS and their are apps that are way better than the stock mail app on iOS for using it with a Gmail address be it the Google apps or a 3rd party app (which is what I use).

I guess if I wanted to use the stock mail app I'd use Outlook.com as it does do push. No way would I ever recommend iCloud Mail for anyone using email for anything remotely important or serious. Certainly not just so you can run the damn stock mail app, which sucks as far as I'm concerned.

I personally am an Airmail guy for Mac and iOS and it works great with my Gmail account.

stulaw11

Suspended
Jan 25, 2012
There are also lots of little hurdles. I for one am still on a Google Apps FREE legacy account. not giving that up anytime soon frankly as it saves my small business money monthly.

Second, even other services that do use EAS like say Zoho Mail are on older versions that dont support certain features. It reminds me a lot of the Android fragmentation and certain devices have certain features or not because of older versions of Android.

Same with EAS. EAS 15 that supports drafts syncing came out Jan 2015. Zoho's EAS setup still does not support draftts (Ive tried it dont sync) so theyre using a 1.5 year old version of EAS, minimum. I can't find any info anywhere what version they use.

EAS frankly is just a mess.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.