Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Schmactor

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 5, 2014
What rules does Mail use to group email messages in a thread? I like using threaded conversation but here's the problem I'm having: My company sends me work requests which I reply to. They are always from the same sender. The subject line is similar but not exact. It always starts with "Work request for..." followed by a specific date i.e. "4/17/18". IOS Mail wants to group all of these messages into one thread but I don't want it to. I realize the sender is the same and part of the subject line is the same, but shouldn't it only group messages that have the exact same subject line? Doesn't the different dates make the subject different? Or is the partial similarity in the subject enough to make Mail group them together?

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
I think there are quite a lot of factors, including time since last email. But since some email clients/services automatically change the subject slightly, either with the current date, or adding a "Re:" in front of the subject or whatnot, the Mail app is designed to allow some changes in subject lines.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.