Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you think the new AS Mac Pro needs 3rd party GPU options for the needs of Pros/Enthusiasts and to

• Yes, ASMac Pro needs 3rd party GPU options (not interested unless it supports 3rd party GPUs)

• No, ASMac Pro doesn't need 3rd party GPU options (I'm ok without 3rd party GPUs)

• Other (I would be ok without 3rd party GPUs if ASMac Pro supports good Apple/1st party GPU cards)

Results are only viewable after voting.

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 22, 2014
How important are 3rd party GPU options to you for you invest in the next Mac Pro?

Please, vote and share your thoughts.

Reactions: prefuse07

singhs.apps

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2016
As of this post, the telling factor in the poll isn’t whether peeps want Apple or 3rd party GPU/s.

It’s that they want a competitive Discreet GPU

Reactions: ZombiePhysicist

venom600

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I think part of the issue is that Apple silicon graphics thus far aren't competitive with even high end notebook discrete cards. The graphics in the M1 Max and M1 Ultra are not on par with what nVidia and AMD have to offer. I wish they were, but they aren't. The idea that the integrated graphics in an M2 Extreme (or whatever) will be able to hold a candle to Radeon 7000 series or GeForce 4000 series cards seems way, way off base.

mode11

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2015
London
The other issue with SoCs is needing to pay for 500 CPU cores just to get the GPU cores you want. An Ultra (or even Max) has more than enough CPU, it just needs e.g. 4x more GPU.

The wider issue is that unlike with CPUs, GPU workloads are hugely parallel, scaling perfectly with increasing core counts (node shrinks). The pace of GPU development therefore outpaces that of other components, so it’s helpful if they can be upgraded separately.

Boil

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2018
Stargate Command
I think we might see ASi GPGPUs using the same heat sinks as the current MPX GPU modules; hence the rumored "same chassis but six slots" ASi Mac Pro...

DaveEcc

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2022
Ottawa, ON, Canada
Not in the market, but I would assume those who are, and need GPU performance, will want to be able to update the GPU without replacing the whole machine, re-paying for the RAM, drives, and CPU cores they don't really want or need to replace, and taking the time to migrate everything to a new box, vs. unplug one GPU, plug in the new GPU.

mode11

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2015
London
I think we might see ASi GPGPUs using the same heat sinks as the current MPX GPU modules; hence the rumored "same chassis but six slots" ASi Mac Pro...
It all hinges on whether future high-end ASi chips somehow have the space to connect loads of PCIe lanes. They would be quite a radical departure from M1 chips (and more significantly, from A-series chips).

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
Not in the market, but I would assume those who are, and need GPU performance, will want to be able to update the GPU without replacing the whole machine, re-paying for the RAM, drives, and CPU cores they don't really want or need to replace, and taking the time to migrate everything to a new box, vs. unplug one GPU, plug in the new GPU.

Assuming "buying" remains an option, and they don't do something wacky, like making it a lease-only product.

TECK

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2011
I don't think Apple will do another similar Studio design with the new Mac Pro 2023. IMO that would be a mistake and most people will just purchase the Studio. People need PCI lanes to put their custom graphic cards and other equipment. I was reading on the forums here, there was a Mac Pro prototype tested with a dual PCI lane so it would accommodate an external graphic card. Still, that would not suffice for me because I don't like the idea of connecting external components. A Mac Pro is a Mac Pro, I want to be able to add custom PCI components inside like we do into 2019 model.

Instead of what processors are used, I would like to see Gurman post details of the actual 2023 design, upgradability wise.

Last edited:

penguinlust

macrumors member
Dec 19, 2019
I know I won't consider an AS Mac Pro unless it supports 3rd party gpu's -- at least for a while. I'm perfectly happy with my 7,1. So while long-term it wouldn't be a deal breaker if it didn't, it will make a difference as to how soon I'd upgrade. So I voted "Other"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.