Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

212rikanmofo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 31, 2003
I see a new option when entering the photo album that you can see a map and location of all new photos that are taken with iOS 10.

If i were to send or share a photo with a friend of post it online such as facebook, will people be able to find out the location of where that photo was taken of? I'm concerned about this because I do not want people to know my location, and if the photos are tagged with GPS data, then is there a way to turn it off?

I remember there was an option to not include location data in previous versions of iOS.

mrapplegate

macrumors 68030
Feb 26, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
Not having installed the beta, but why don't you turn off location services for the Camera in settings?
Otherwise install ViewExif or another app to remove GPS Exif data before sharing it.

I suppose I did not answer your question. The GPS data will be sent if you share it. I don't think Facebook uses the info when you post a pic from the iPhone. I could be wrong. To be sure you should disable location services before taking the pic or strip the info with an app after it is taken and before sharing it if you are concerned.

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
IOS has been adding EXIF location data to photos for a very long time. Social media Services will typically strip that data when uploading photos to their service. But if you're truly concerned, there are many apps to strip that data. Turning off location services is a terrible idea, as you may want that data in your personal photos.

212rikanmofo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 31, 2003
Okay for example, what if I send that photo to a friend via email or imessage, sms, kakaotalk, whatsapp, fb messenger, skype, line, or any other messaging apps out there. Will it also strip the gps location info from the image?

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
Depends upon the app. But if you're truly worried, download one of the many apps that will strip out that data for you. And if you're really really worried, turn of location services for the camera, but be aware of what you lose by doing that.

Okay for example, what if I send that photo to a friend via email or imessage, sms, kakaotalk, whatsapp, fb messenger, skype, line, or any other messaging apps out there. Will it also strip the gps location info from the image?

mrapplegate

macrumors 68030
Feb 26, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
It depends on the service. If you don't want it shared then turn location services off for the camera or use an app to strip the GPS location info.
You can test it yourself by posting a pic to a service you want to test and then try to read the EXIF info from the pic.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.