Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

glawrie

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 31, 2005
Maidenhead, UK
Have been noticing recently that the MacOS OneDrive client appears to have something that looks a bit like a memory leak. Leave the app running and overtime the memory consumed by the app (with all other things remaining unchanged) goes up - I have seen this on a Mac Pro (5,1) and a MacBook Air (7,2).

Using OneDrive client version 17.3.6967 (the most recent at time of writing), on MacOS 10.13.1 (though this has been going on at least a few versions).

Over the course of five or six days of operation OneDrive memory usage on the MacPro goes from about 800MB to 2.5GB - with no meaningful change in number or size of files stored on OneDrive. Closing and reopening the app and waiting for it to complete a sync to the cloud results in the memory footprint going back to about 800MB.

I noticed this because the computer was slowing down and upon investigation found it was running an active swap file - recycling the OneDrive app eliminated the need for this...

Subsequently noticed same thing happening on my MBA.

Wondering if this is just happening on my computers, or others have seen similar behaviour.

boppin

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2008
Germany
Hello,

Over the course of five or six days of operation OneDrive memory usage on the MacPro goes from about 800MB to 2.5GB

I noticed this because the computer was slowing down and upon investigation found it was running an active swap file

perhaps it's the fault of your operating system?

I am currently running several apps on my Macbook Pro, no swap file created.

It could also be possible that when using more apps, documents, tabs, etc. that your machine will start swapping.

bernuli

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2011
How much data is stored on your OneDrive?

Have been noticing recently that the MacOS OneDrive client appears to have something that looks a bit like a memory leak. Leave the app running and overtime the memory consumed by the app (with all other things remaining unchanged) goes up - I have seen this on a Mac Pro (5,1) and a MacBook Air (7,2).

Using OneDrive client version 17.3.6967 (the most recent at time of writing), on MacOS 10.13.1 (though this has been going on at least a few versions).

Over the course of five or six days of operation OneDrive memory usage on the MacPro goes from about 800MB to 2.5GB - with no meaningful change in number or size of files stored on OneDrive. Closing and reopening the app and waiting for it to complete a sync to the cloud results in the memory footprint going back to about 800MB.

I noticed this because the computer was slowing down and upon investigation found it was running an active swap file - recycling the OneDrive app eliminated the need for this...

Subsequently noticed same thing happening on my MBA.

Wondering if this is just happening on my computers, or others have seen similar behaviour.

glawrie

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 31, 2005
Maidenhead, UK
How much data is stored on your OneDrive?

20 GB.

The whole lot is mirrored to the MacPro, but only a few folders to my MBA.
[doublepost=1509539740][/doublepost]
Hello,

perhaps it's the fault of your operating system?

I am currently running several apps on my Macbook Pro, no swap file created.

It could also be possible that when using more apps, documents, tabs, etc. that your machine will start swapping.

Haha... yes perhaps it is nothing to do with MS, and Apple should modify OS X to work better with MS's app?

Seriously, my MacPro has 24GB RAM, and rarely swaps. I noticed this issue when one day I found it slowing down and when I looked at memory usage (Memory tab in Activity Monitor) I saw OneDrive using 2.5GB of RAM. Close / reopen OneDrive (and let it settle down) and it starts out at 850MB. This is already huge compared to Dropbox's client (210MB), but OneDrive's footprint expands over time (DropBox stays constant).

So yes I can work around the issue, but I think it actually is a bug in the OneDrive client.
[doublepost=1509539848][/doublepost]Heard back from Microsoft on this... turns out there is a bug.

OneDrive app is not compatible with High Sierra at present, leading to these problems. Our teams are working on an update to the OneDrive app, so that you can continue to use it with your Operating System.

We are not providing any troubleshooting at present, because we do not want to mislead you. The best option would be to use the web portal https://onedrive.live.com/ to access your OneDrive data.

You can also refer to this article: https://support.office.com/en-us/ar...392-bff1-551e32840cd0?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US

We regret the inconvenience you are facing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.