Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maccanuck2006

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 27, 2006
Vancouver Canada
Hi all:

I know that updating Win XP drivers for the GPU in bootcamp does not carry over to OS X, but how about overclocking?

I downloaded nTune 5.05 from the nVidia website for the sole purpose of overclocking; it reports the speed of the 8600m GT on my MBP at 375 clock speed and 575 memory bus speed IIRC. I can now overclock it with this utility (I know about the usual caveats) but want to know if doing will also translate into a performance increase in the OS X environment, or will I only see a difference in Win XP?

Thanks

Jiddick ExRex

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2006
Roskilde, DK
I am actually not so certain. In a way yes, since you will raise the maximum clock hardware wise. No because the new mobile GPUs have various new features where they clock themselves down depending on use.

I am fairly certain that you will see performance increases in OS X as well (although that depends if you actually use the GPU at all).

olmoscd

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2007
No it should be at default speeds when you boot into os x. I used to do that and I know that if the utility doesn't start, your gpu doesn't overclock. For example, I'd overclock until I got slight artifacts in video and when I would restart, the artifacts wouldn't show up until my overclocking utility starts in the tray.

Just my two cents.

maccanuck2006

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 27, 2006
Vancouver Canada
No it should be at default speeds when you boot into os x. I used to do that and I know that if the utility doesn't start, your gpu doesn't overclock. For example, I'd overclock until I got slight artifacts in video and when I would restart, the artifacts wouldn't show up until my overclocking utility starts in the tray.

Just my two cents.

I suspected as much. Thanks!

BTW: what was the highest clock and memory speed that you could push your 8600 to before artifacts and/or random badness started to occur? Also, what were the "real world" improvements that you saw (if any)?
I have updated my nVidia drivers to 163.69 (from laptopvideo2go) and hope to be able to run Crysis at medium to high levels when its finally released; I'm wondering if I can do it with the factory set clock speed or do I need to overclock. System specs for Crysis haven't been released but the propellerheads at the EA forums suggest that a stock 8600m GT may not be good for anything higher than medium quality textures.
For what it's worth I currently can run Bioshock at high details without any issues at 1440 x 900 without O/C.

Currently running with 4 gigs of RAM with a 2.4 SR MBP with a 160gig 7200RPM Seagate drive. Win XP with SP2 in bootcamp 1.4.

Cheers

h00ligan

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2003
London
I suspected as much. Thanks!

BTW: what was the highest clock and memory speed that you could push your 8600 to before artifacts and/or random badness started to occur? Also, what were the "real world" improvements that you saw (if any)?
I have updated my nVidia drivers to 163.69 (from laptopvideo2go) and hope to be able to run Crysis at medium to high levels when its finally released; I'm wondering if I can do it with the factory set clock speed or do I need to overclock. System specs for Crysis haven't been released but the propellerheads at the EA forums suggest that a stock 8600m GT may not be good for anything higher than medium quality textures.
For what it's worth I currently can run Bioshock at high details without any issues at 1440 x 900 without O/C.

Currently running with 4 gigs of RAM with a 2.4 SR MBP with a 160gig 7200RPM Seagate drive. Win XP with SP2 in bootcamp 1.4.

Cheers

man, how can you possibly run bioshock at high - I get like 10 fps on high with dx10 running. Any success with your overclock?

Sonic

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2006
man, how can you possibly run bioshock at high - I get like 10 fps on high with dx10 running. Any success with your overclock?

I guess that's the difference in speed with Vista dx10 vs XP dx9...

I'm also running abound 25fps on high with my 2.4 MBP (downloaded latest drivers, def. helped too). Looks great!

h00ligan

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2003
London
I guess that's the difference in speed with Vista dx10 vs XP dx9...

I'm also running abound 25fps on high with my 2.4 MBP (downloaded latest drivers, def. helped too). Looks great!

after replying the dx9 thing dawned on me - and i ran it in forced 9 - much much better.. .sheesh.

I still think there are tweaks to do on it... and vista needs some optimization, i'm starting to think i will roll xp on there.

TheStu

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2006
Carlisle, PA
I have seen some screenshots, and it looks to my eyes like there are almost no penalties in running DX9 mode for BioShock, so if you can squeeze some more frames out of it that way, make it more playable, then that is the way to go.

It really is impressive to me that the 8600M runs the game that well though, "Apple doesn't make gaming machines" my foot!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.