Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eve12309

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2022
Hi!

I have a mid 2010 mac pro. I have photoshop CS5 12.1 x64 currently working well on this. It's enough for what I need and I like it.
I cant afford a new computer but I do have a new camera- a 90D which work on CR3 raw file my Photoshop now cant read.
A DNG converter could solve this issue but I can't download Adobe DNG converter as apparently I need version 8.1 to go with my El Capitan o s but i can't seem to get it to load- I click and nothing happens maybe because I am also having web browser issues apparently due to my O S being so old.

Ive been advised to try High Sierra-(the last OS my mid 2010 model can use) to help solve my browser issues which may then allow to to download the DNG converter I need but there seems to be very variable views on whether photoshop CS5 12.1 x64 will then work!!

Has anyone out there tried this??

Even if I wanted to spend the money on a photoshop subscription to get the new Photoshop to read my new raw files (i dont) I actually cant without a new computer that will allow use of a newer os! Its been a rabbit hole but hopefully I've understood all this and now the last question is will my photoshop CS5 12.1 x64 even work with High Sierra??

Thanks!!
Eve

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
I have CS5 running on High Sierra at home, but I don't know if it is 12.1 x64 or something else.

Have you considered using a bit of money to buy Pixelmator or Affinity Photo instead? They support CR3 RAW because they tab into Apples system support for it. They are much more modern.

eve12309

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2022
Oh thats good to know- is bridge working ok too?
No I hadnt heard of them but will have a look... I assume they can run on high sierra then? or el capitan?

thx

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
Oh thats good to know- is bridge working ok too?
No idea, I don't even know what it does. :p I only use Photoshop and Illustrator.

No I hadnt heard of them but will have a look... I assume they can run on high sierra then? or el capitan?

thx
I have both running on High Sierra just fine. Affinity Photo is probably your best choice, and it runs all way down to 10.9 Mavericks.

Note that I am talking Pixelmator, and not Pixelmator Pro, as the latter only runs on 10.15.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.