Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
I recall some time before iOS 14 was released that regular folks that use YouTube who aren’t paying the monthly fee for YouTube premium would be able to view YouTube videos in the background (picture in picture), so long as you would view videos within the Safari app and not the YouTube app.

Then I read somewhere that YouTube got rid of this functionality even within the Safari app (again, for non premium subscribers).

I just wanna view YouTube videos whilst I’m doing other stuff on my phone, without having to pay for YouTube premium. Is that too much to ask? Surely there must be a solution. Or something I’m missing. Currently when I try to do PiP on YouTube in the Safari app the video stops playing.

Reactions: juanmaasecas

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
So for anyone wondering, I ended up using an extension called PiPifier and does the job well. Allows me to use YT.com on Safari and use PiP at all times. Do gotta tap the "AA" icon in the browser tab first however. But its free!

Just in case someone comes along wondering how to do this. My wife is on iOS 14 and doesn't need any extension to get YT.com PiP, but I'm on iOS 15 and it seems I need the extension for whatever reason.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.