Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kofman13

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 6, 2009
Hi All, i recently was looking into the security and vulnerability of the MacOS Quicklook cache after finding out that MacOS has a cache of all images you quicklook, which worried me. Then i tried to look at my own Quicklook cache folder which was empty, and then upon researching that i saw that i cannot access the actual cache because i have SIP turned on and SIP blocks all access to the crucial system folders including /var (where the quicklook caches are stored), blocked even from me the user (unless i turn SIP off).
Is it safe to assume that means that any malware or malicious app would also not be able to view these folders that are sandboxed by SIP?

What about apps that are granted Full Disk Access? I have quite a few of those. Can they access the sandboxed that are blocked by SIP? I would assume not since Full Disk Acess should be the same access as me the admin, who cant even access those protected folders. But if someone knows the answer to this as well, please chime in.

All in all, are these folders 100% safe since they are protected by SIP? (i guess the only one left with access would be apple themselves, but that's a whole other can of worms topic).

P.S. if Quicklook cache is blocked by SIP, would commands like "qlmanage -r cache" to clear cache still work? I've read somewhere that it sitll works (although no way for me to see if it worked since SIP blocks the cache files and i wouldnt be able to compare if the file size went down to zero after the clear command)

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP:

Why don't you just disable SIP, and then see if you can do what you need to do?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.