Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

frankiejoe577

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2007
Can you make calls with skype over 3g with the Ipad if you do not have wifi connection and only 3g connection? I thought I read somewhere that that ATT blocked it but I want to know because that is a deal breaker for me to buy the Ipad 3g.

twylie

macrumors member
May 21, 2010
Can you make calls with skype over 3g with the Ipad if you do not have wifi connection and only 3g connection? I thought I read somewhere that that ATT blocked it but I want to know because that is a deal breaker for me to buy the Ipad 3g.

doesn't work on 3G; only works on WiFi currently. Skype has announced they are working on an iPad app that supports 3G but no date given.

Batt

macrumors 65816
Dec 17, 2007
Syracuse, NY
It does work over 3G but only if jailbroken. Apps are on Cydia to get past the 3G restrictions.

"It" meaning Skype, I presume. Whistle works over wifi and 3G and is totally free. You "pay" for it by listening to a very short ad before it dials your number.

WERA Cannoli

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2010
"It" meaning Skype, I presume. Whistle works over wifi and 3G and is totally free. You "pay" for it by listening to a very short ad before it dials your number.

Yes, Skype along with every other 3G restricted app. Sorry for the confusion.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
Skype got just updated and works now over 3G. Wohooo!:)

Update: just called Munich Germany / Hilton hotel and it worked via 3G like a charm.

aussie_geek

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
Sydney Australia
meekgeek said:
One thing to note is that Skype will be charging a gatekeeper fee for 3G calls sometime after August, something which is free for other VOIP apps on the App Store.

More here: http://meekgeek.tumblr.com/post/645362613/skype-greed

Doing that I'm sure skype will loose heaps of iPhone, and iPad users. Seriously, who would use skype if there are a heap of other apps like fring on the market....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.