Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CavemanMike

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 8, 2013
Sorry: this is really the same question previously posted but no answer received:'

Why type of events can wake up a sleeping iMac?

Obviously, a keyboard press and mouse wiggle will, but what else?

e.g. antivirus scans, event activity in the photos app, etc.?

Thanks,
Mike

rkaufmann87

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2009
Folsom, CA
Sorry: this is really the same question previously posted but no answer received:'

Why type of events can wake up a sleeping iMac?

Obviously, a keyboard press and mouse wiggle will, but what else?

e.g. antivirus scans, event activity in the photos app, etc.?

Thanks,
Mike
If the computer is set for wake for network access then anything that relates for network access would wake it.

By the way, DO NOT repeat DO NOT install antivirus, cleaning or any other worthless apps on any Mac.

jazzer15

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2010
If the computer is set for wake for network access then anything that relates for network access would wake it.

By the way, DO NOT repeat DO NOT install antivirus, cleaning or any other worthless apps on any Mac.

Why do you say this about antivirus? I need to use VPN for work and an installed antivirus program is required or I would be unable to connect. I have yet to decide if I am going to install the antivirus in OSX or setup a bootcamp partition with Windows 10 and install it there.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
If you have antivirus settings that will scan at a particular time, then I suppose that would wake your system to do that scan (but why would you have settings like that?)
Photos activity that would wake your Mac?
Yes, if you plug in a device that triggers your Photos app, such as an iPhone that would be potentially syncing when you plug it in. Photos wouldn't do that on its own.
Also notice that would be triggered by something that you do, such as plugging in an external device. Most any active device would wake your Mac when you plug it in (not something it would do without that trigger from an external device being plugged in... )

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Why do you say this about antivirus? I need to use VPN for work and an installed antivirus program is required or I would be unable to connect. I have yet to decide if I am going to install the antivirus in OSX or setup a bootcamp partition with Windows 10 and install it there.

Antivirus programs on OS X usually act more like a virus then any virus you'd actually find on a Mac. If you have to have it just set it up for manual scans. You can download malwarebtyes for free and give you system a brief scan on occasion.

If you are going to use Windows, then yes use an antivirus like you normally would.

A Mac will sleep. Tapping a key, plugging/unplugging USB devices, certain scheduled programs, and network access (if enabled) will wake it.

Strider64

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2015
Suburb of Detroit
I installed an anti-virus on the Windows side (using Bootcamp), but nothing on the OS X side. I don't why, but I got slammed with malware when installing Windows 10 (It came directly from Micro$illy). I was shocked for I previously built PCs and never had that problem. Sorry for going off-topic.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Just set the display to turn off after a set periord and don't worry about the computer going to sleep. That's what I do, my iMac basically doesn't go into sleep mode at all.

CavemanMike

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 8, 2013
Spooky: (and the basis for my question):

• My mom passed away on xmas eve.
  • My iMac has never awakened by itself (ever - in the 9 months since I got it).
  • Last week, I walked by my mac to see the screen on, the photos app open, and the picture that was displayed was of her "celebration of life event" (the cake which said: "celebrate life").
  • I had not touched or connected anything to the imac
  • There was a sophos message about a file being detected as bad.
  • The next morning, the same thing happened.
  • This time, I investigated what file was being problematic, and it was a file that's been in my drop box for 2 years.
I don't believe in "signs" so I think it's more likely that an updated sophos definition now detected a file as risky. I guess sophos might wake up to scan. The photos app was open when I had used it last, but it wasn't on the 'activity' folder. However, I was unsubscribing from shared albums from my macbook so maybe after unsubscribing, it lost focus on whatever folder it was on, and picked the first folder in the list (the activity).

Nonetheless, it totally got my attention.

I guess I can prove (re-create) by setting automatic sophos scans for 3am, leave the computer asleep, and check int he morning to see if history showed it scanned then.

And, good tip on the network access: I will check that out.

Thanks everyone,
Mike

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I've had Macs over the years that woke themselves up, heck, I have PCs that did the same thing. I don't think you need to read anything into it. As I stated, I no longer worry about putting it sleep mode and just ensure the display shuts off after x minutes of inactivity.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.