Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

czeluff

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 23, 2006
Hello to all,

this morning I uninstalled Summerboard because I was getting only 12 hours of battery life on my phone. Bluetooth, Wifi, all the standard stuff was off.

So far my battery has been ALOT longer, but i'm unsure since I've had Summerboard on my iPhone since I purchased it. Any confirmations on this?

Chad

p.s. Is there another way to make my wallpaper the default background behind the icons WITHOUT using Summerboard? Honestly, this is the only reason I wanted it.

oxeneers

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2007
South San Francisco, CA
I highly, highly doubt this. But then again, who knows.

I'm an avid Summerboard user and all that it does is sometimes use "Wifi Keep Alive" - see new ApolloIM release notes.

Other than that, I don't see a reason it'd "kill your battery". The iPhone battery is weird anyways.

czeluff

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 23, 2006
why it could kill the battery

It could kill the battery because:

everytime you "unlock" the phone it has to reload Summerboard.

there is a background process constantly running (youll notice this if you have UIctl installed).

How long are people's batteries staying alive with Summerboard? As i was stating before, I used to get just over 12 hours of light use. I've only had the phone off the charger for six hours since Summerboard was uninstalled, but here's what I know:

My battery indicator still reads full.

I used the iPod functionality for 2 hours, 1.5 hours for music, 30 min for video.

Used Safari for 45 mins.

Logged into ApolloIM for 45 minutes.

Loaded Installer.app about 10 times.

Everything seems alot better. I'll be doing some actual testing soon.

cz

erandall38

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2007
But are your results not biased? Loading installer.app 10 times? Evertime you load installer.app you have to connect to your computer. So if you install it 10 times that is a lot of charging.

Loaded Installer.app about 10 times.

cz

Andrmgic

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2007
But are your results not biased? Loading installer.app 10 times? Evertime you load installer.app you have to connect to your computer. So if you install it 10 times that is a lot of charging.

I'm sure he means run the application "Installer" on his phone 10 times.. not put it on his phone 10 times.

poppe

macrumors 68020
Apr 29, 2006
Woodland Hills
I can't tell a difference in my battery life. I've usually been able to get a day and a half of use, and so far that has stayed on par. I have my iPhone looking like it is untouched as a regular iPhone, but with different icons.

poppe

macrumors 68020
Apr 29, 2006
Woodland Hills
you get a day and a half?? you're lucky!

Well I mean part of the day I am asleep. I start from about noon off the charger. Go to bed at about 2-3 a.m. and then make it to about 4-7 p.m. the next day with out charging it.

I don't really do anything iPod on my iPhone. I mostly just do text messaging, email, phone, and internet.

dakooga

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2007
With my Summerboard v2.11 I get 28 hours before I really have to charge my iphone if I resist using it too much.

Before Summerboard I was getting almost the same so I think there's probably something else at play on your rig..

Are you running any apps resident?

~ kooga

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
i think it really depends on what you do with your phone, and how much. if you're on the internet, checking email, playing music......your battery isn't gonna last long at all

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.