Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

off_piste

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 25, 2015
Sorry if this is covered elsewhere but I didn't see anything recent when searching via Tapatalk.

I just picked up a used 9.7 pro for my daughter and tried to find the 200 mb plan but it's not showing. My options under T-Mobile are:

-Add to existing account;
-5gb/5mos/$10;
-View all T-Mobile plans (when I click on it it says Connection Failed, the connection to the server was lost);
-existing plan.

I'm pretty sure this is working off the embedded sim. Do I need to go get a T-Mobile sim instead? Not sure if there's a known issue of it not working with the embedded sim.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Yeah, it's gone for new devices. I still have it on my Air 2 and recently added the 5GB /5mos/$10 option - it kicks in after I use 200MB in a month. This is on the "stock" Apple sim.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
My wife and I both have it, but it only shows up on my account during time periods where I'm using almost no data.

My wife pretty much uses no data anyway so it's always shown up on her's.

The interesting thing is that we never asked for it because I was never aware of it until it mysteriously got applied one billing cycle.

off_piste

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 25, 2015
Yeah, it's gone for new devices. I still have it on my Air 2 and recently added the 5GB /5mos/$10 option - it kicks in after I use 200MB in a month. This is on the "stock" Apple sim.

Damn. That was my exact plan.

Thanks for all the responses.

enri1357

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2016
if you are on T-mobile One, you can get a new unlimited tablet line for $10 a month. Get kick-back enabled, and under 2GB usage, you will get rebate of $10 in next bill, i.e. for anything below 2GB a month, only the 1st month cost you $10, pay nothing in the following months. The sim card can be obtained in Apple Store for free (T-mobile charges $25)

I am told you will get 50% and 75% of 2GB usage Alert

off_piste

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 25, 2015
if you are on T-mobile One, you can get a new unlimited tablet line for $10 a month. Get kick-back enabled, and under 2GB usage, you will get rebate of $10 in next bill, i.e. for anything below 2GB a month, only the 1st month cost you $10, pay nothing in the following months. The sim card can be obtained in Apple Store for free (T-mobile charges $25)

Sounds amazing. I'm on a Verizon family plan for cell coverage though. I get up to 10gb of tethering per month but this was wanting a nice cheap side plan for miscellaneous times. Guess the 5/5/$10 will have to do.

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida

I can't find this online, just the $20 line. Do you have a link to it so I can get it done?

ahostmadsen

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
Yes, that's too bad. That's the reason I got a cellular 9.7" iPad pro. Now I will hold on to that and not upgrade to the 10.5". The 200 Mb does not go far, but it's incredibly useful that the iPad is always connected. I wish Apple would provide something like that with a cellular iPad purchase. Then you could buy a carrier plan if you need more. It would give a strong incentive to buy a cellular iPad.

A.R.E.A.M.

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2015
Los Angeles, California
I had the T-Mobile one with my first gen iPad Pro. I also have two other phones on the line.

When i got the new iPad Pro gen2 all i did was pop the T-Mobile sim in and had no issues.

100 bux a month with unlimited everything on 3 lines. Ad 5 more dollars and you get a "digits" line for free.

Freakonomics101

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2014
Those who want free data can use FreedomPop. There’s a few gotchas but once you’re around that, you are golden. I get 0.98 GB free every month on the AT&T network.

I’ve been quite satisfied with the service. I always make sure I don’t get too close to my limit cause then I’ll go over.

Reactions: jjk454ss

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Jul 10, 2008
Those who want free data can use FreedomPop. There’s a few gotchas but once you’re around that, you are golden. I get 0.98 GB free every month on the AT&T network.

I’ve been quite satisfied with the service. I always make sure I don’t get too close to my limit cause then I’ll go over.

What are the gotchas? I have an iPad that I use only with Square to take mobile payments, I currently pay $10 a month to add it to my AT&T plan, this seems like a good option if it doesn't actually cost me anything. I would never go over 500 MB in a month

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.