Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adb1973

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 25, 2008
Amsterdam
I bought a second hand 2013 iMac 21.5 inch for my son. Other than it being the base 14,1 i5 model it's equipped with an original Apple 256GB flash drive. Which to my understanding is a PCI-e drive since 2013.
Since it never had an HDD does it have the required SATA connector to install an extra SSD.
I thought i'd rather ask before opening the glued monster :)

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
If it already has an SSD inside, there's really no point in opening it up.
Boot and run from the internal SSD.

If you need more storage, get an EXTERNAL USB3 SSD and add it to the back.
I'd recommend a Samsung t7 "Shield" -- very nice drive (I have 2).

There's no risk in breaking something inside when you do things this way.

Last edited:

adb1973

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 25, 2008
Amsterdam
Thank you all. After some research According to the OWC site the iMac has the connectors but not the cable. That can be ordered online.

If it's s good upgrade?
10-20% Speed difference with external SSD
Trim support on internal ssd

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Thank you all. After some research According to the OWC site the iMac has the connectors but not the cable. That can be ordered online.

If it's s good upgrade?
10-20% Speed difference with external SSD
Trim support on internal ssd

It could be a very bad upgrade if you have never openned a glued iMac before.
A shop near my house got 4 of this exact model, on sales with broken LCD panels because the IT guy of a design company decided that it would be faster to replace the HDD with SSD.

adb1973

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 25, 2008
Amsterdam
I've seen quite some on second hand websites too. It always surprises me why people imagine the precautions on the YT disasembly videos are not for them... as stated before: USB3 is easiest.

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
A shop near my house got 4 of this exact model, on sales with broken LCD panels because the IT guy of a design company decided that it would be faster to replace the HDD with SSD.
No joke. It’s hard to find good tape. OWC and iFixIt kit tape have been problematic for me in the past. Poor quality tape = screen fall off.

• Wow
Reactions: adb1973

adb1973

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 25, 2008
Amsterdam
So conclusion:
- it has the connector, the cable has to be ordered online.

Sidenotes:
- usb3 ssd's are a good and safe alternative, if you are willing to accept slower throughputs of about 10-20%
- there are fair warnings about opening the machine and being careful because you can ruin the screen.

Jack Neill

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2015
San Antonio Texas
A NVMe enclosure and TB2 is faster than USB 3, although TB2 isn't bus powered and the solution is most likely more expensive. I am booting mine from a 1TB and I get about 800 R/Ws.

Reactions: adb1973
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.