Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vahdyx

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 17, 2014
Thornton
I did some research and just learned this morning that you don't need to use sleep schedule to track sleep. I haven't verified this, but apparently you can just use the Sleep Focus mode to manually track sleep; turn it on and then turn it off when you wake up. Not sure if this will answer my question, but it may.

However my question is I have set my weekend schedule and my weekday schedule, but I'm on paternity leave now and sometimes I'll wake up at 4 AM and my daughter will decide I no longer get to sleep. So I'll turn off sleep mode and it won't show my sleep results until my scheduled wake time even after turning off sleep.

Is there a way to force it to show me. I've even adjusted "todays" sleep schedule in health and it still won't show me my sleep results until 7 AM on weekdays and later on weekends.

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
I was not able to get any sleep tracking results with either my previous watch nor my new Ultra without setting a sleep schedule first. Though there are 3rd party apps that can apparently handle this independently.

Graham4723

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2018
I do wish I could see a definitive answer to this !!
I see several posts on here saying that sleep is being tracked on watches without a schedule being set up, others saying one must be setup.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
My watches have all tracked sleep without a schedule or Focus or anything else - using AutoSleep. That much I know for sure. I also know that the current version of WatchOS is showing sleep in the native Health app without a schedule or Focus, presumably because AutoSleep is set up as a data source in the Health app (i.e., can write data to the Health app). In other words, running AutoSleep results in sleep tracking in both AutoSleep and Health with no sleep schedule and no Focus setting.

What I don't know is what happens if you want to track sleep without an app like AutoSleep - for example, using just the native Health app. In that case, maybe a sleep schedule and/or Focus setting is required.

It's only semi-related, but if you want to track temperature with the S8 or AWU, I think you do need to have a sleep Focus setting and maybe a sleep schedule also.

Graham4723

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2018
But I don’t understand why the watch can’t track sleep without the need for it to get data from (say) Autosleep !
I’ve tried, sev times, but just can’t get on with Autosleep.
I find the calibration step impossible to either use or set.
Even if I can identify which ‘clock’ matches my sleep/wake time, how do I match the various’stages’ through the night. After all, I’m asleep ! I may know if there was a significant event in the night but what about other short periods. Several ‘clocks’ could be possible.

azhava

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2010
Arizona, USA
I don't bother trying to track daytime naps, even though I take them quite often. Not sure if turning Sleep Focus on would catch them or not.

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
I don't bother trying to track daytime naps, even though I take them quite often. Not sure if turning Sleep Focus on would catch them or not.
I think it would if you napped for long enough. I doubt that a 15 minute nap would show much if any result. But tracking does occur without a schedule if you manually initiate the sleep focus from control center, and no alarms are needed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.