Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Nov 1, 2001
VA
So is anyone using this combination? Does it work without the pro key?

I'm going to update to FCP Studio when its available, but until then I'm going to stick with Jaguar and QT6 (I remember running into some issues before with the OS upgrade and QT)....

D

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Nov 1, 2001
VA
I'm going to get an iMac today, or maybe later this week and I'll try and install it on there and see what happens....

D

Darwin

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2003
round the corner
In theory when you upgrade QT it should automatically give the new features to the applications,

When you go to export a project from FCP it gives the job to QT to code it to a format so FCP and other programs don't need to be updated to export into other formats

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Darwin said:
In theory when you upgrade QT it should automatically give the new features to the applications,

see, that's where I have a problem...."in theory"

I don't trust those words :D

So if anyone does have it working, it would be nice to know.

Thanks,

D

748s

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2001
Tiger Bay
qt pro has never been needed to run fcp.
it one of those myths that spring up and run wild.
i'm on fcp 4.5 with 10.3.9 and qt7.
it runs as usual.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Nov 1, 2001
VA
748s said:
qt pro has never been needed to run fcp.
it one of those myths that spring up and run wild.
i'm on fcp 4.5 with 10.3.9 and qt7.
it runs as usual.

ah - well, i usually use the pro features a lot with animations and such, so I sort of need it.

So does anyone have FCP 4.5 running with Tiger?

D

748s

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2001
Tiger Bay
QuickTime Pro ONLY affects the QuickTime PLAYER application, nothing else. You will still be able to export to H.264 and the other codecs from FCP, Compressor, After Effects etc even if you don't have the QT Pro upgrade.
reports of fcp 4.5 running in tiger.
one "old timer" has fcp3 on tiger and it works fine.
apple usually make the effort to make things compatable

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Nov 1, 2001
VA
748s said:
QuickTime Pro ONLY affects the QuickTime PLAYER application, nothing else. You will still be able to export to H.264 and the other codecs from FCP, Compressor, After Effects etc even if you don't have the QT Pro upgrade.
reports of fcp 4.5 running in tiger.
one "old timer" has fcp3 on tiger and it works fine.
apple usually make the effort to make things compatable

excellent, thanks

I use the quick time pro to make .mov files from image sequences. If I'm rendering a long animation, I don't want to take a chance that something might fubar the process, so by rendering every frame, I can pick up where I left off.

QuickTime pro is a great way to make .mov files from a folder of images - if there is a simple way to do that with FCP, I'd love to know.

Thanks,

D

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
Mr. Anderson said:
QuickTime pro is a great way to make .mov files from a folder of images - if there is a simple way to do that with FCP, I'd love to know.

qt pro is great for that, definitely.

however you can easily do this in fcp too. set your import settings to one frame for stills (or 2 if you're doing 2s, etc)... then just drag the folder in, or import folder or whatever way you want to do it, then drag the folder to timeline and it will pop them in there in order... assuming correct numbering of course

hope that works for ya

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Nov 1, 2001
VA
jelloshotsrule said:
however you can easily do this in fcp too. set your import settings to one frame for stills (or 2 if you're doing 2s, etc)... then just drag the folder in, or import folder or whatever way you want to do it, then drag the folder to timeline and it will pop them in there in order... assuming correct numbering of course

hope that works for ya

that should work - i'm just wondering how much extra time it would take fcp to do this. I like QT since its relatively painless and quick.

I'm going to try it out soon, though, on an animation I'm working on right now and see how it goes.

D

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
Mr. Anderson said:
that should work - i'm just wondering how much extra time it would take fcp to do this. I like QT since its relatively painless and quick.

I'm going to try it out soon, though, on an animation I'm working on right now and see how it goes.

D

oh, it's not very long at all. it really is just a few drags and drops. depending on how long it is, and how powerful your computer is, it may take a little while to prepare the video for display or whatever, but not too too much longer than QT would take to render it. it's certainly not a big pain if the qt pro option is off the table

i'm hesitant to go to qt7 because like you i want the pro features, and like you i'm getting fc studio whenever it ships so why pay 30 bucks now when i'll get it with fc studio... anyhoo

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Nov 1, 2001
VA
jelloshotsrule said:
i'm hesitant to go to qt7 because like you i want the pro features, and like you i'm getting fc studio whenever it ships so why pay 30 bucks now when i'll get it with fc studio... anyhoo

Well, considering I'm going to be shelling out $650 plus for the upgrade to FCP Studio from my copy of FCP 4.5 - the $30 is negligible, but then its still $30.....

I could end up putting on the new iMac, which might justify getting the thing, though....hmmm. Its such a pain having a bunch of machines sometimes.

D

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
Mr. Anderson said:
Well, considering I'm going to be shelling out $650 plus for the upgrade to FCP Studio from my copy of FCP 4.5 - the $30 is negligible, but then its still $30.....

i'm shelling out 1300 and 30 is still not negligible to me! hah

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Nov 1, 2001
VA
jelloshotsrule said:
i'm shelling out 1300 and 30 is still not negligible to me! hah

Ooh, that hurts.

The nice thing is that they have an upgrade from FCP for the whole studio. Interestingly enough, its the same price as if you purchased the education version. Seems to indicate that Apple knows that people use that option *instead* of paying full price....

Let me know when you get it, I'll be curious to see what you think. I'm not getting it until I finish my current job and then get payed, so that won't be until the first part of June....

D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.