Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jimmyhii

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 31, 2010
I was just wondering if the facetime camera requires the dGPU to be active since things like photobooth automatically cause switching to the dGPU? It would be a real turn-off if I couldn't use the facetime camera when trying to preserve my battery on integrated graphics only..

thanks in advance guys!

Last edited:

JH4DC5

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2010
facetime does trigger the dGPU. you can use something like gfxcardstatus to force the integrated GPU instead.

BlaqkAudio

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2008
New York
Nothing requires the discrete GPU. However, when a program calls upon certain APIs, OS X automatically switches to discrete. If you use gfxCardStatus, you can force OS X to only use integrated.

jimmyhii

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 31, 2010
Nothing requires the discrete GPU. However, when a program calls upon certain APIs, OS X automatically switches to discrete. If you use gfxCardStatus, you can force OS X to only use integrated.

yes i'm aware of that. It's just a concern because a similar thing occurs with driving a display through the mDP. in the 15/17 inchers only the dGPU can drive the external screen. The integrated graphics simply isn't wired to drive the external displays, isn't it (i hope i got this right from reading the forums)?

I would just like to know if a similar set-up is true for the facetime camera. (ie. can I use the facetime camera while using the integrated graphics?)

JH4DC5

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2010
the integrated graphics have no problem running facetime (using gfxcardstatus to force integrated gpu). i run facetime off the integrated graphics all the time, unless i have an external monitor hooked up.

jimmyhii

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 31, 2010
the integrated graphics have no problem running facetime (using gfxcardstatus to force integrated gpu). i run facetime off the integrated graphics all the time, unless i have an external monitor hooked up.

Ok thanks! that's great:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.