Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smoothbit

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 2, 2014
I’ve been looking to buy a 2003 iPod dock for my 4th-gen iPod and I just realised something; does it only charge and/or sync over FireWire?

The reason I want the dock is for synching with iTunes on my 2018 Mac mini, and that does not have FireWire.

Does anyone know? If I want to both sync and charge over USB do I need a later model dock?

Slix

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2010
You mean the official Apple white docks for the iPod? They work over both FireWire and USB, at least all the ones I've tried. I have a few different models from over the years, and they all have worked with FireWire and USB across various computers. From what I can tell, it just gives the connection straight from whatever you plug into it to the iPod that is docked in it.

smoothbit

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 2, 2014
Yep, specifically this one that was originally made for the 3rd gen iPod, and that works with the 4th gen iPod as they had the exact same dimensions:

I've also been assuming it would work no problem, so thanks for the confirmation. I just had the idea that it might not charge, as apparently the 3rd gen iPod only charged over FireWire, but if the dock simply passes along the pins of the cable that shouldn't be an issue for the 4th gen.

Reactions: Slix

Slix

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2010
Yep, specifically this one that was originally made for the 3rd gen iPod, and that works with the 4th gen iPod as they had the exact same dimensions:

I've also been assuming it would work no problem, so thanks for the confirmation. I just had the idea that it might not charge, as apparently the 3rd gen iPod only charged over FireWire, but if the dock simply passes along the pins of the cable that shouldn't be an issue for the 4th gen.
Yup, it should work with any of them. I have a few of these (there are two different models from 2003, one with S-Video and one without) and they work fine over USB. I'm using mine on a MacBook Air with a 4th gen nano right now, and had my 4th gen classic plugged in a day or so ago as well. :)

They're really great little docks! So cute. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.