Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mike 98

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 17, 2023
Apple's product page only mentions Auto Image Stabilization. I attempted to take a few pictures while simulating hand tremors with the phone. The stabilization isn't as effective as that of the rear camera. Is this to be expected? Could it be due to the size of the front camera and the range of motion for the OIS motors?

P.S. This is my first time posting, so if I make any mistakes, please correct me, and yes, I did read the manual. :p

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
It is expected because it doesn’t have hardware stabilization.

There are no motors in the rear camera. The stabilization is done by electromagnets surrounding the sensor.

Reactions: Mike 98

Mike 98

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 17, 2023
So, since they don't use motors or anything of that sort, does that mean it's more durable? How would it fare against drops and high-amplitude vibrations? (I did read an article on Apple's website mentioning that it's bad, but they didn't specify which iPhone). They also mention that magnetic accessories affect image quality? Does that include third party magsafe compatible cases with the magnetic halos?

Last edited:

Sorinut

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2015
So, since they don't use motors or anything of that sort, does that mean it's more durable? How would it fare against drops and high-amplitude vibrations? (I did read an article on Apple's website mentioning that it's bad, but they didn't specify which iPhone). They also mention that magnetic accessories affect image quality? Does that include third party magsafe compatible cases with the magnetic halos?

My ex dropped her iphone, from about waist high with a case, with OIS (8 Plus, rear camera) on a trip and it knocked that particular part of the camera out. Whenever she tried to record a video or take a photo, it would make all sorts of sounds and the photos/video would have waves in them. Had to have the camera module replaced. The phone was completely fine otherwise.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.