Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Littleodie914

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
Hey guys, here's the situation... My brother is using our iMac G5 and the audio-in port to record his drums in GarageBand. He's got a splitter (just a little cable thing) that allows three inputs to be recorded at once. This is ideal, as he's recording drums and is going to buy 3 mics to record a better sample of the audio. (3 directions instead of just 1.)

What he's wondering, is whether or not the iMac provides phantom power out the audio-in port. Each one of the mics he's looking at purchasing requires 48V of phantom power, and he wants to know whether or not the computer will power them. Does anybody know if this will work? Thanks! :D

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Your Bro' otta get to the library and sign out some magazines and books to bone up on the fundamentals of recording.

Recording, Sound on Sound, Electronic Musician. Computer Music, Future Music are all good mags that cover basic home recording often. Also look for any book by Craig Anderton, such as Home Recording for Musicians.

Things will be much easier once the basics are understood.

beatsme

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2005
um...

condenser mics sound like a luxury for what he's going to be doing. He'd probably be better off getting a few Shure SM57's.

alternatively, a good area mic might be better than 3 mics put together. I get the feeling that running 3 mics into one track with no mixer in between could well suck...

Vaphoron

macrumors 6502
Aug 5, 2004
Maryland
beatsme said:
alternatively, a good area mic might be better than 3 mics put together. I get the feeling that running 3 mics into one track with no mixer in between could well suck...

I would take one properly placed condenser mic instead of 3 57's any day for recording drums.

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
Vaphoron said:
I would take one properly placed condenser mic instead of 3 57's any day for recording drums.
as long as we're making such calls...

i'd see if the kit sounded any good in the room. if yes, i'd use the single condenser as a room mic. if no, i'd close mic the 57's.

Vaphoron

macrumors 6502
Aug 5, 2004
Maryland
zimv20 said:
as long as we're making such calls...

i'd see if the kit sounded any good in the room. if yes, i'd use the single condenser as a room mic. if no, i'd close mic the 57's.

Very true. Time for them to pull out some blankets or a mattress if its a small crappy sounding room. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.