Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alexf

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 2, 2004
Planet Earth
Hi Everyone,

I am consdering trading in my G5 tower for a new iMac (of course I will wait until the line is updated, which may be next week). One thing is very important to me, however: the ability to support a second monitor in extended desktop mode. I think I recall somewhere reading that the iMac does not support extended desktop mode, but it does support mirroring, which makes no sense to me. Is this true?

Also, if extended desktop is possible, would I be able to use my previous gen. 17" LCD studio display (clear lucite). I do have an ADC-DVI adapter.

Thanks in advance for the help. :)

redeye be

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
BXL
The newer iMacs have a mini DVI out, which support dual display (and not just mirroring).
You will need a mini DVI to DVI adapter and your DVI-ADC to plug in your screen.
Or just find a new screen and use the mini DVI to DVI
Or find a vga screen and use a mini DVI to VGA adapter.

Take your pick :)

it'll work fine.

edit:
beaten, did you also use the spy Mohan?
you fast poster you.

alexf

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 2, 2004
Planet Earth
redeye be said:
The newer iMacs have a mini DVI out, which support dual display (and not just mirroring).
You will need a mini DVI to DVI adapter and your DVI-ADC to plug in your screen.
Or just find a new screen and use the mini DVI to DVI
Or find a vga screen and use a mini DVI to VGA adapter.

Take your pick :)

it'll work fine.

edit:
beaten, did you also use the spy Mohan?
you fast poster you.

Thanks, redeye be

How much does a mini DVI to DVI adapter cost? I think I'd like to keep my 17" Apple Display.

Edit: Just found the price on the Apple web site: $19. Quite a rip-off for a tiny little made-in-China piece of plastic (typical of Apple) but it would be worth it to hook up my monitor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.