Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FlyingTexan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 13, 2015
I currently have the 12 mini and a big selling point to move on would be that half the time I’m in the sun the phone seems to cut its brightness in half. Do the 12 and 12 pro have the same issue?

BrettDS

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2012
Orlando
I currently have the 12 mini and a big selling point to move on would be that half the time I’m in the sun the phone seems to cut its brightness in half. Do the 12 and 12 pro have the same issue?

I’ve definitely had that happen with my 12 Pro Max. I think it’s a ‘feature‘ of the OLED display. I’m hoping that my new 13 Pro Max won’t have the same issue, but I’m not holding my breath.

JFazYankees

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2012
All iPhones do this and they have forever. It's to prevent the phone from overheating and damaging the battery and other internals.

FlyingTexan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 13, 2015
All iPhones do this and they have forever. It's to prevent the phone from overheating and damaging the battery and other internals.
I hadn’t had the issue in the past nearly as prominent as I do now. I’d rather be able to crank down the cpu to keep it from getting that hot and leave my screen bright. Makes it hard when I’m out on a jog to see anything.

BrettDS

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2012
Orlando

I’ve only noticed this on the OLED phones, and I live in Florida, so my phone is out in the sun a lot. I guess it’s possible that it happened with older LCD phones, but they certainly seem less sensitive to it, at least. I don‘t recall ever seeing this happen on an LCD phone, but it happens pretty frequently on the OLED ones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.