Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
I recently decided to go case-less on my iPhone 14 Pro. My only concern is that when I place it on the table or counter the camera lens could get scratched. How tough are they?

Reactions: grahamb286

acorntoy

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2010
No it's sapphire. Unless your putting your phone down on a surface made of diamonds it physically cannot scratch.

Reactions: Hieveryone

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
No it's sapphire. Unless your putting your phone down on a surface made of diamonds it physically cannot scratch.

Wow that is incredible. The main surfaces would be like a wooden desk, kitchen countertops, bathroom sink area, shower tile, surfaces like that

Yuvix

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2022
India
I recently decided to go case-less on my iPhone 14 Pro. My only concern is that when I place it on the table or counter the camera lens could get scratched. How tough are they?
I would say that Iphone camera lens glass and screen will fair better as compared to other smartphones but it can get scratches even with day to day usage. Apple is not using pure sapphire for iPhones which is why I would say back cover is required or apply a lens covers such as spigen optik tempered glass.

This will retain original camera quality but also save it from day to day usage.

DaveS86

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2022
I wouldn’t take the chance, I’ve got the spigen glass protector installed and it is perfect, even fits the ESR air armor case I’ve fitted. Total peace of mind.

xARx2

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2014
Here’s an anecdote: I’ve kept my iPhone 14PM in an Otterbox Symmetry since day 1, but I recently found micro-scratches on my lenses. It’s annoying but doesn’t seem to affect functionality. The lens is definitely made of (or coated in) softer material than pure sapphire, and I don’t carry around diamonds in my pockets! ;)

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
The lenses won’t touch the surface if it’s flat. Only the edge of the square bump that surrounds them.
The lens touches a table/surface on a Pro Max. Heck, the lens face almost sits flat on a surface because the angle it forms with the table is so small. In fact, the camera is the ONLY reason I bother with a case.

Speaking purely about scratches, you can scratch a lens with sand (i.e. if there’s sand in your pocket, or some on the surface you place your phone onto like a picnic table).

However, if you include cracking, then sapphire cracks. It’s not easy, but it’s not necessarily difficult, either. Repeatedly putting (dropping) your phone on a hard surface (e.g. stone kitchen countertop), even from not that high up, may result in a crack eventually.

Don’t bother with a glass lens cover for your camera lens. It doesn’t scratch easily at all, makes photos worse, negatively affects the flash, and doesn’t protect the lens from anything. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Last edited:
Reactions: Fred Zed

headlessmike

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2017
People tend to worry too much about fine scratches and other imperfections on camera lenses. Even a cracked lens wouldn’t cause a noticeable degradation of image quality except for in some special cases such as when shooting into a bright light source. At most it would lead to a reduction in contrast. Fingerprints and other smudges reduce the image quality far more than scratches do.

Reactions: Jackbequickly

Torty

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2013
Here’s an anecdote: I’ve kept my iPhone 14PM in an Otterbox Symmetry since day 1, but I recently found micro-scratches on my lenses. It’s annoying but doesn’t seem to affect functionality. The lens is definitely made of (or coated in) softer material than pure sapphire, and I don’t carry around diamonds in my pockets! ;)
Is it possible to make a picture? I checked my old 5S and X, especially the cam of the X I cleaned very often with my dry shirt when I was traveling. I bet this would scratch normal glass.
I didn’t use screen protector on both so I found micro scratches on the displays but none on the cam. These are in mint condition. As I would expect from sapphire.

Torty

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2013
Wow that is incredible. The main surfaces would be like a wooden desk, kitchen countertops, bathroom sink area, shower tile, surfaces like that
I would be concerned to fracture the lenses on the spot it touches the table if it’s an hard table made of glass or ceramic etc. If there is too much pressure on the phone.

Reactions: Fat_Guy

Fred Zed

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2019
Florida Unfortunately
The lens touches a table/surface on a Pro Max. Heck, the lens face almost sits flat on a surface because the angle it forms with the table is so small. In fact, the camera is the ONLY reason I bother with a case.

Speaking purely about scratches, you can scratch a lens with sand (i.e. if there’s sand in your pocket, or some on the surface you place your phone onto like a picnic table).

However, if you include cracking, then sapphire cracks. It’s not easy, but it’s not necessarily difficult, either. Repeatedly putting (dropping) your phone on a hard surface (e.g. stone kitchen countertop), even from not that high up, may result in a crack eventually.

Don’t bother with a glass lens cover for your camera lens. It doesn’t scratch easily at all, makes photos worse, negatively affects the flash, and doesn’t protect the lens from anything. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Last two paragraphs 💯

Reactions: Abstract

xARx2

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2014
Is it possible to make a picture? I checked my old 5S and X, especially the cam of the X I cleaned very often with my dry shirt when I was traveling. I bet this would scratch normal glass.
I didn’t use screen protector on both so I found micro scratches on the displays but none on the cam. These are in mint condition. As I would expect from sapphire.
Yes.

For context, I don't wipe the camera frequently, maybe the once or twice a month I take a photo. I notice that there's a noticeable amount of dust/smear buildup on the lenses, more so than the iPhone X that I upgraded from.

This is in direct sunlight:

2022-12-21-12h05m10s.jpg

This isn't lint or some other debris. I think it's scratched whatever coating is on the lens, rather than the lens itself, since I can't feel it when I rub my finger on the lens.

If you'd like any other information, let me know!

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley

Another anecdote. You'd need a lot more than some minor scuffs on the lens before it'll translate into artifacts in your photos. I actually have a deep gouge in the rear element of a $1000 lens that I own. Ouch. I have no idea how that happened, but I was really kicking myself for that one. Then I realized it wasn't affecting my images at all and I really mean not at all.

Check out these photos taken from a camera with the lens actually smashed in.

xARx2

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2014
Another anecdote. You'd need a lot more than some minor scuffs on the lens before it'll translate into artifacts in your photos. I actually have a deep gouge in the rear element of a $1000 lens that I own. Ouch. I have no idea how that happened, but I was really kicking myself for that one. Then I realized it wasn't affecting my images at all and I really mean not at all.

Check out these photos taken from a camera with the lens actually smashed in.
Nice link! Yeah, I agree that these things are cosmetic at this stage. However, as the phone ages and collects more scratches, the image might soften. I’m not concerned about it, but just something to note.

ctjack

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2020
On my cheap watch with real sapphire dome glass i can try to scratch with knife safely, while iphone has sapphire in the ingredients but it is not one that is fully sapphire.

blkjedi954

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2012
Florida
Different use cases. It’s not like you’re swiping on you camera lens...😂 That would be funny tho. 🥸

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
I’ve had iPhones since the 2g 2007 version and over 12 different models. I’ve never had the camera scratched and I never used a case until the 6 plus version. Plenty of scratches screens but never the camera. I’ve never worried about this.

Motionblurrr

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2008
Not at all. IMO that’s the strongest part of the iPhone scratchwise. Everything else will scratch much easier so be careful about everything but the camera lenses lol

Torty

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2013
Yes.

For context, I don't wipe the camera frequently, maybe the once or twice a month I take a photo. I notice that there's a noticeable amount of dust/smear buildup on the lenses, more so than the iPhone X that I upgraded from.

This is in direct sunlight:

View attachment 2131396

This isn't lint or some other debris. I think it's scratched whatever coating is on the lens, rather than the lens itself, since I can't feel it when I rub my finger on the lens.

If you'd like any other information, let me know!
Do you remember what happened? I own a watch with sapphire it’s over 10 years old and I wear it almost every day. It got scratches everywhere (titanium) but non on the glass. 🤔

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
Do you remember what happened? I own a watch with sapphire it’s over 10 years old and I wear it almost every day. It got scratches everywhere (titanium) but non on the glass. 🤔
Same my series 3 titanium has small scratches on the body but the screen is immaculate. And I worked in the garden and doing demo work at that time. I’m confident the camera and Apple Watch titanium glass is super resistant

blkjedi954

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2012
Florida
I’ve had iPhones since the 2g 2007 version and over 12 different models. I’ve never had the camera scratched and I never used a case until the 6 plus version. Plenty of scratches screens but never the camera. I’ve never worried about this.
Well my daughter had a iPhone 6 and her camera lens was scratched beyond anything I had ever seen. Pictures were unusable. She doesn’t carry diamonds in her pockets I imagine, and at the time she didn’t carry a purse. So anecdotally, mileage differs from user to user. Daughter was a high schooler at the time and loved her phone. No case used. I would recommend a case if you’re concerned about scratches on the camera lens.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.