Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TNThomas

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 12, 2012
At the moment I am wondering what iPhone to get, the 7 or the 8...
I am leaning towards the 7 due to its lower price (since I am a student, that's important).
However, I want the longest possible software support, since I want to use it for years to come.

So if I buy a iPhone 7 now, does it get shorter software support than the 8?

TNThomas

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 12, 2012
This, the pattern is that apple updates your device to the last OS up to 4 years old iphones. If you buy the 7 you should be cut to 3 years.
Sounds logical!
My iPhone 5 didn't get iOS11 and that was its first update it didn't get.
If I count correctly, it got five years of updates.
So do these four years you state start after the next gen iPhone is released of after the phone's own release?

Oliveira46

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2017
Sounds logical!
So do these four years you state start after the next gen iPhone is released of after the phone's own release?

you are right. My head was thinking how apple updates your device 4 times. Updating 4 times would give you 5 years with the latest iOS since the first year you have the phone isn't an update because it ships with the latest OS already

TNThomas

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 12, 2012
you are right. My head was thinking how apple updates your device 4 times. Updating 4 times would give you 5 years with the latest iOS since the first year you have the phone isn't an update because it ships with the latest OS already
Alright, thanks a lot for your quick help! :)

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
Sounds logical!

I don't think that there's a hard and fast rule about exactly how many years of updates each device gets. It depends on what the device can handle. But obviously the older the device the sooner it will reach its limit. The iPhone 7 is a year older than the 8, so one would expect it to receive its last update a year sooner, but that should still be at least a few years away.

TNThomas

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 12, 2012
I don't think that there's a hard and fast rule about exactly how many years of updates each device gets. It depends on what the device can handle. But obviously the older the device the sooner it will reach its limit. The iPhone 7 is a year older than the 8, so one would expect it to receive its last update a year sooner, but that should still be at least a few years away.
Thanks for your help! It's all clear now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.