Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Disead

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 16, 2019
1F677B03-71B5-40AD-A3F2-B91FF98F5A8C.jpeg
My dad recently received a suspicious text message (he has an Android phone) that he did not respond to but he asked me about. I attempted to forward the message to myself from his phone several times but the forwarded message refused to go through. Is this blocking ability inherent to the iPhone as a security measure? Does Apple have a way to filter out known sources of potentially harmful content? I would think if this was true I would be able to find SOMETHING about it online but I found absolutely nothing regarding this feature either from Apple or my provider (T Mobile).

In order to get the message to go through I had to screen capture the text from his phone and send the image to my iPhone X. I included the screen cap for reference to see if anyone is remotely familiar with this specific hoax; however, for your own security DO NOT FOLLOW THE LINK. I spent an hour trying to research this and found absolutely nothing about what the link might be or what the point of it is. I know it’s bad, but I don’t know WHY. Any insight would be appreciated.

Note: I did open the link in a “sandboxed” environment (prevents anything bad from happening on a computer, nothing can install, wipes all attempts to communicate, etc) minus the blacked out phone number and apparently it just paused for a second and redirected to the default home page, Google. No extra HTML added to the URL. So strange. The blacked out characters are my dad’s exact phone number with area code. I’m assuming it transmits data somewhere including his phone number but after that I’m totally and utterly lost. A whois search states the domain doesn’t even exist!

Reactions: compwiz1202
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.