Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

darkus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 5, 2007
Wanted to confirm that someone has plugged these two together and it works before making the purchase? I read that the 4K doesnt actually work which is a bummer...

Thanks!

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Wanted to confirm that someone has plugged these two together and it works before making the purchase? I read that the 4K doesnt actually work which is a bummer...

Thanks!
It will run but in a scaled 4k mode. You may as well buy a 4k display.

loby

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
I am interested in this too, for I have a MacBook Pro 2018 and could use it with both. Would be great to hear from someone who actually has one using it with the Mac Pro 2013. Anyone?

Also, has anyone REALLY tried to use the LG UltraFine 4K Display with the Mac Pro 2013? I also heard possibly it does not work...but would like to hear from someone who has tried. Anyone?

voyager77

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2012
The 5k can be connected but only works in 4K because the connection lacks bandwidth.

The new/current 4K can be connected using the tb2 to tb3 cable from apple.

The previous 4K doesn’t work because it only supports usb-c video and not tb video.

Eizo has just released a nice 4K display for graphics use which should work to.

Reactions: loby

rawweb

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2015
I’m driving my LG Ultrafine 5k and now a 6k XDR at full resolution with 6,1 via blackmagic eGPU pro.

Reactions: ScreenSavers

darkus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 5, 2007
I’m driving my LG Ultrafine 5k and now a 6k XDR at full resolution with 6,1 via blackmagic eGPU pro.

Oh wow very cool! This sounds like the solution. Do you know if it works under boot camp as well?

Thanks!!

Reactions: rawweb

loby

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
The 5k can be connected but only works in 4K because the connection lacks bandwidth.

The new/current 4K can be connected using the tb2 to tb3 cable from apple.

The previous 4K doesn’t work because it only supports usb-c video and not tb video.

Eizo has just released a nice 4K display for graphics use which should work to.

With the new/current 4K monitor, are you able to adjust the brightness? I heard that possibly you cannot with the Mac Pro 2013, and it is set to full brightness..? Does the 5K also allow the Mac Pro 2013 to adjust the brightness? Thanks

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
^^^^I use "Brightness Slider" available in the app store:

TinyGrab Screen Shot 4-1-20, 12.24.25 PM.png

Lou

aclarubicin

macrumors member
May 27, 2018
Can you verify from the EDID file generated by SwitchResX that it's actually 5k/6k and not upscaled 4k? There should be a MHz entry, where ±500 is 4k and ±900 is 5k

voyager77

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2012

That's interesting. What osx version are you running and did you have to tweak anything.
I'm wondering, since eGPU isn't supported anymore on TB2 connections.
[automerge]1585778648[/automerge]
With the new/current 4K monitor, are you able to adjust the brightness? I heard that possibly you cannot with the Mac Pro 2013, and it is set to full brightness..? Does the 5K also allow the Mac Pro 2013 to adjust the brightness? Thanks

I have no hands on experience with either monitor. It's unpossible to find one in a store or demo since they can only be bought from apple direct. (At least here that's the case.)

So the only way to know for sure is to find someone who has this combination.

Last edited:

loby

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Anyone on this forum use the 5k or 4k with a Mac Pro 2013?

fiatlux

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2007

I guess this only works because Blackmagic eGPUs have display out on the second TB3 connector (no other eGPU offers this capability as far as I know). But you pay a lot for that privilege (a second hand Vega 56 and a Razer Core X would cost less than half the price).

rawweb

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2015
Oh wow very cool! This sounds like the solution. Do you know if it works under boot camp as well?

Thanks!!

For me, I was able to get the BM eGPU to work with Windows, but it's a convoluted process (most mac eGPU setups are). I think I posted a build guide at eGPU.io for anyone interested. My Ultrafine 5k and XDR are scaled and are being driven by the D700 through the eGPU so it's scaled and probably takes a bigger performance hit. Reports 3840x2160 4k @150% on the XDR. However, setting the game or app to prefer the eGPU via graphic settings does indeed work and game chews at the eGPU rather than discreet.

eGPU settings.JPG Capture.PNG

Can you verify from the EDID file generated by SwitchResX that it's actually 5k/6k and not upscaled 4k? There should be a MHz entry, where ±500 is 4k and ±900 is 5k

Sure. Seeing 1285.82 MHz @ 59.940Hz reported. Various resolutions reported. Popped over to the 7,1 and both EDID files appear identical. I'm using default "more space setting" 3008x1692" and things look clear and sharp. Having the LG Ultrafine 5k next to it connected to the D700, I can obviously tell when it's scaled.

Just for fun, I just plugged this in via Thunderbolt 2 direct into the 6,1/XDR (TB3/2 adapted) and can report it does in fact drive the display via my D700, but obviously at a scaled resolution. Quality looks about the same as at the LG Ultrafine scaled, I honestly expected it to look worse..

I guess this only works because Blackmagic eGPUs have display out on the second TB3 connector (no other eGPU offers this capability as far as I know). But you pay a lot for that privilege (a second hand Vega 56 and a Razer Core X would cost less than half the price).

Quite correct, that's the only way this works. I happened to have BM eGPU Pro for a MacBook setup I've retired and have since moved the eGPU and LG Ultrafine over to my 6,1. I happened on the eGPU on eBay for a bit of a deal, around $800 USD, so a bit cheaper than new but still agreeably not worth the cost of a $200+ USD Vega 56. It has however been working wonderful for me. The XDR just happens to be here with my 7,1 from my office due to a COVID-19 shelter in place order. So I switch back to my personal 6,1 on the weekend/evenings.

Last edited:
Reactions: aclarubicin

saulinpa

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2008
I run with two of the LG UltraFine 5K monitors on a MP6,1. As mentioned Mac OS reports they are running at 5K but really are scaled to 4K. All functions work except brightness control only works with one monitor. To adjust brightness on 2nd monitor I have to physically disconnect one. Upon reconnect/reboot it is kind of random which one will then be able to be adjusted but the settings are remembered.

rawweb

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2015
I run with two of the LG UltraFine 5K monitors on a MP6,1. As mentioned Mac OS reports they are running at 5K but really are scaled to 4K. All functions work except brightness control only works with one monitor. To adjust brightness on 2nd monitor I have to physically disconnect one. Upon reconnect/reboot it is kind of random which one will then be able to be adjusted but the settings are remembered.

That's strange, I don't deal with that at all. MacOS typically controls brightness on the active display with the keyboard control. For example, if you're clicked into a window on screen 1 and press brightness it effects screen 1, vice versa for screen 2. You can also control the brightness of either display via the sliders in system preferences. I believe holding command or option key along with the brightness function keys will also allow you to change the brightness on a second display. If for some reason you're not seeing brightness controls on one of the displays via system prefs, it would indicate the USB signal to one of the monitors isn't functioning.

saulinpa

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2008
USB seems fine as camera and speakers work in each monitor. USB device tree shows LG "USB Controls" for each monitor. When adjusting brightness the box pops up on the appropriate monitor but only one gets adjusted. Same thing using the sliders in preferences. One monitor by itself always works properly. Does same thing when I try my other MP6,1 with both monitors. These are the original 27" UltraFine using TB2/3 adapters.

Last edited:
Reactions: loby
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.