Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
Do you like the sounds of fans? And lower battery life? I came from an intel based macbook. HUGH upgrade and difference from the Intel macbooks.

Heh, not at all... but my hands are a lot colder now. 🥶

It's funny, but it never occurred to me that one of the reasons I developed the habit of using my laptop directly (instead of using it plugged in at my desk) was because it kept my hands warm during the winter.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Knightimer

UPBaylor

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2014
Just a small update for me after much thought. I ended up buying a 15" MBA 16GB/1TB through Apple's refurbished store and have been putting it through my normal paces over the last few days. For my workflow, it more than meets my needs and is exceptional. I'm not sure I'll ever need to go back to the MBP line up.

I did try out my kid's MBA with 8GB/512 and while it was fine, with a lot of browser (Brave) tabs open and some MS programs running, I was bumping up against the 8GB RAM threshold. I'm still amazed Apple is willing to sell 8GB models, especially at the MBP level. Until that changes, I think almost everyone except the casual user should view the prices of the base products as +$200-400 for upgrades.

Reactions: viking_01

Supermallet

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2014
I went from a 13” 2020 MBP to the base M3 Pro MBP and the difference is astounding. The instantaneous response of the M3 Pro is a revelation. The battery is so much better, I’d probably have to charge the 2020 three times to reach the span of one charge on the 2023. And it runs cool to the touch with no fan noise that I can hear—it’s a whole other class of machine. The 2020 served me ably but I’m so glad to have this upgrade.

Reactions: viking_01
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.