Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fashion

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 27, 2007
The combo drive on my macbook is severely crunched and won't even let a CD slide in without a lot of force, so I need to replace. I am seeing a few reports on the interwebs that the Macbook, as opposed to Macbook Pro only has room for a thinner-than-normal 9.5mm-tall optical drive, not the normal 12.5mm-tall ones.

Is it true?
Has anyone had success installing a 12.5mm-tall drive?
Where in the world can I buy this 9.5mm-tall style?

I'm otherwise loving my new macbook. I came as a Windows power user and programmer. OS X is just way better for development!

TheStu

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2006
Carlisle, PA
The combo drive on my macbook is severely crunched and won't even let a CD slide in without a lot of force, so I need to replace. I am seeing a few reports on the interwebs that the Macbook, as opposed to Macbook Pro only has room for a thinner-than-normal 9.5mm-tall optical drive, not the normal 12.5mm-tall ones.

Is it true?

I'm otherwise loving my new macbook. I came as a Windows power user and programmer. OS X is just way better for development!

Both the MacBook Pro and the MacBook use the slim 9.5mm drives since the MBp is thinner than the MB, the old PowerBooks and iBooks used the thicker drives, but no more. Google MacBook SuperDrive (or ComboDrive) and you should get some results. Bear in mind that it won't be cheap. Apple is the only pretty much the only company that is using these drives, hence the mark up

ab2650

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2007

Is it true?

Here's a replacement drive for the MacBook/MBP for around $190... Pricey for a drive, but, yeah...

I'd consider your other option: Go external if you can't justify spending that much money.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.