Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

timidhermit

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 6, 2011
I know this is an odd question.

Recently, I met a seller selling a MacPro6,1 (Mac Pro 2013) at a good price but without any RAM or SSD. I plugged the MacPro into a power outlet to test it, but the Mac Pro never turned on (no light anywhere). The seller claimed that this was normal behavior because there was no RAM or SSD. As I recall, the Mac Pro should still POST in this scenario. I ended up leaving the sale behind (which upset the seller greatly).

Unfortunately, I am not able to test this scenario with my own MacPro6,1 at this moment because it is currently running a mission critical work project so I can't turn it off.

Does anyone know what is the supposed behavior? I know, for MacPro5,1, the system will still POST even without RAM and hard disk drive.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
MacPro6,1 can complete POST and show a screen (the blinking folder image) without a 12+16 blade, but not without RAM.

timidhermit

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 6, 2011
MacPro6,1 can complete POST and show a screen (the blinking folder image) without a 12+16 blade, but not without RAM.
So do you think I was right to walk away because the seller's MacPro was sus for not even being able to be turned on?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.