Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
have zero experience with 11 or 12.9 Magic Keyboard,

just curious if it gets looser and wobbly with use or maintains the same angle snuggly in that float-y position?

metalsiren

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2017
for me I had it since day one and it still feels snug enough to keep it at the position I want.

Reactions: jazz1

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
I echo the others, that is one stiff hinge, both of them. Unless you manhandle it or are abusive, no worries.

BarrettF77

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2015
Standard keyboard folio chance to scratch the display because they moved around and it was cloth and pushing up against the screen. With the magic keyboard is that still a concern where is the keyboard held away from the display like a MacBook would be?

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Standard keyboard folio chance to scratch the display because they moved around and it was cloth and pushing up against the screen. With the magic keyboard is that still a concern where is the keyboard held away from the display like a MacBook would be?

that’s something I’m curious about too

does magic keyboard scratch the screen when transported and in closed position?

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
that’s something I’m curious about too

does magic keyboard scratch the screen when transported and in closed position?
The keys never touch the screen. The keys are recessed just enough to create a raised edge around them so that the iPad screen never touches them when closed. Kinda like some phone cases have a lip around the screen so that if you put your phone down with the screen down it doesn’t contact the surface you put it on.

Now with the new iPad and that .5mm extra thickness I wonder if it’s possible for the keys to touch the screen. But that raised edge should still prevent that, I hope.

BarrettF77

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2015
I am getting the new case as I never bought the old one so shouldn’t be an issue then.

nick42983

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2009
Warsaw, Poland
I like to lie on my back on the couch with my 11" iPad Pro in it's Magic Keyboard on a pillow on my stomach. Recently I noticed that the hinge that the iPad rests on is not staying in place and the bottom of the iPad is sinking backwards. I take very good care of the keyboard but it looks like just the weight of the iPad over time has weakened the hinge after only about a year of light use. Since this combination is naturally top-heavy I suggest keeping the iPad closed when not in use rather than letting it hang on the hinge all day.

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
but it looks like just the weight of the iPad over time has weakened the hinge after only about a year of light use. Since this combination is naturally top-heavy I suggest keeping the iPad closed when not in use
I’ve used the original Magic Keyboard for my 12.9 iPad Pro since release and have never seen any sinking or loosening of the hinges whatsoever. Now when I’m not using it I do close it up but after 2 years or more of daily use on my big iPad both hinges are rock solid so this really isn’t a concern.

However closing it up when not in use would always be advised just to prevent an accidental impact that would dislodge the iPad perhaps causing it to hit the floor and causing damage.

Luckyman770

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2017
I was researching to see if anybody else had the loose hinge issue and came across this forum. Mine has a lot of play in the hinge. I use my iPad daily and with constant adjustment to the screen it has become loose. Took it to an Apple Store and they might have replaced it but showed that it was over 2 years old. So will it hold up the first year, yes. Over two years? In my case, no.

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
I was researching to see if anybody else had the loose hinge issue and came across this forum. Mine has a lot of play in the hinge. I use my iPad daily and with constant adjustment to the screen it has become loose. Took it to an Apple Store and they might have replaced it but showed that it was over 2 years old. So will it hold up the first year, yes. Over two years? In my case, no.
There may be variations in different units but essentially 4 years later mine is as tight as new.

Jonr515

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2017
Midwest!
Mine has starting binding and Apple says my Apple Care + doesn't cover it. That being said I'd not recommend any over priced Apple POS products. I'd bet on third party all day.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.