Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sUnit_1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2021
I’ve read about the graphite Milanese loop scratching things because of its DLC coating. I ordered the silver stainless steel Apple Watch 6 with the normal silver Milanese loop. Seeing the gloom and doom about the graphite Milanese loop has me concerned. Is this also an issue with the non-graphite ones? Discussions almost make it seem like if you have the Milanese loop your watch will get scratched like it feel into a garbage disposal ...

Bro KV

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2011
I’ve had the SSS with silver Milanese loop for just over a week. No scratches. But I have been mindful when taking it off and putting it on.

axantas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2015
Home
As every metal loop, it is able to scratch the back of every watch. So, yes it IS an issue, it you let it rub on other metal surfaces. You can however take it on or off and lay it down on any surface, paying a bit attention. It does not scratch it while you wear it.

I never understood this discussion, I owned a SS Series 0 with milanese loop and it did not scratch anything.
There will be some micro scratches at the left and right side of your watch. This is the consequence of the daily use and does not have anything to do with the Milanese loop. Sometimes I wonder, what people are doing with their watches...

Last edited:

svanstrom

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2002
??
Just like @axantas I've had that combo since the early days (summer 2015); and I even had my first one up until I switched to a series 5 in 2019.

I would summarise my thoughts like this: This discussion is 100% caused by people that either don't understand what a watch is, or are a bit "special" when it comes to any and all marks/scratches.

Fortunately my own brand of "special" doesn't include anything like this, and I'm absolutely satisfied with my SS AWs; I would easily recommend them to anyone that feel that they can afford them.

I'd also recommend using these apps:

nepatriot

macrumors member
Dec 30, 2018
Just like @axantas I've had that combo since the early days (summer 2015); and I even had my first one up until I switched to a series 5 in 2019.

I would summarise my thoughts like this: This discussion is 100% caused by people that either don't understand what a watch is, or are a bit "special" when it comes to any and all marks/scratches.

Fortunately my own brand of "special" doesn't include anything like this, and I'm absolutely satisfied with my SS AWs; I would easily recommend them to anyone that feel that they can afford them.

I'd also recommend using these apps:
Is the AW really a "watch"? Or is it an electronic device you wear on your wrist that ALSO tells time?

I have a SSSB AW4 that looks like new, battery 100%. OEM strap unused. I don't wear it much. Trade in value $80; net resale maybe $140. Paid maybe $750 or $800 2 years ago. It's a tech item, often already obsolete around the time it hits the market.

Unlike a good mechanical watch. They last decades, a lifetime, or can be handed down even. I have flipped many, and if I buy at a good price, and take care of it, I often get 70 - 75% of the purchase value. Over 80% on a Doxa 1200T recently. But it just does a few things, and is amazingly accurate ... when you consider what's inside: most movements are based on tech that is 100 years old, more really.

So there is no real point in taking care of an AW. Not like a real "watch". But depends on where you might wear it. I see AW's in business settings now, often on wrists of senior executives. Need to keep it cleaner than many of the well loved ones that show up on picks to wear with a suit. But the same can apply to mechanicals: I've seen some well loved divers with gouges and dents, any one of which would have destroyed an AW.

svanstrom

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2002
??
Is the AW really a "watch"?
In this context I would say, yes; as the context is about what we can expect from the physical aspects, not whether or not it has a resell value or the internals is from Casio, Rolex, or Apple. :)

mguzzi

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014
Columbia SC
I had the Original Stainless with the Milanese Loop and the Series 3 Stainless with the Milanese loop. It's possible that the band will scratch the watch however the stainless steel watch also scratches more easily anyway. Light scratches can be carefully buffed out. In about 5 years I never had an issue with the band noticeably scratching the watch.

jabbawok

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2004
Worcestershire
I’m confused. Which part of the strap risks scratching the watch? Also I agree, there isn’t much point trying to keep it pristine as they’re worth so little after a few years irrespective of condition. That said, I think stainless bares the scratches better.

mikecwest

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2013
I’m confused. Which part of the strap risks scratching the watch? Also I agree, there isn’t much point trying to keep it pristine as they’re worth so little after a few years irrespective of condition. That said, I think stainless bares the scratches better.
The little Nipple on the original Apple Watch band, the one that sticks through the hole, makes little micro scratches, and over time, it felt like sand paper.

I am worried that the metal surface of the metal watch band will do the same. I can't seem to find ANYONE else that has had this issue. I have tried to ask on the Amazon questions page, but they say my question violated community guidelines, and can not ask anymore questions.

The image below is not a MacBook Pro, but it is the closest I can find to what it looked like (it was much worse). I bought a Leather Link with this Apple Watch to prevent that, and have replaced my MacBook Pro after that. That was just from the little nipple part.

I can't imagine that nobody else has had an issue.

I am not worried about resale value, or being in pristine condition, I want to be able to have it look normal for my self, and not later scrape my wrist like sand paper like my old one.

Screen Shot 2022-05-29 at 06.41.56 PM.jpg

Last edited:

jabbawok

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2004
Worcestershire
The little Nipple on the original Apple Watch band, the one that sticks through the hole, makes little micro scratches, and over time, it felt like sand paper.

I am worried that the metal surface of the metal watch band will do the same. I can't seem to find ANYONE else that has had this issue. I have tried to ask on the Amazon questions page, but they say my question violated community guidelines, and can not ask anymore questions.

The image below is not a MacBook Pro, but it is the closest I can find to what it looked like (it was much worse). I bought a Leather Link with this Apple Watch to prevent that, and have replaced my MacBook Pro after that. That was just from the little nipple part.

I can't imagine that nobody else has had an issue.

I am not worried about resale value, or being in pristine condition, I want to be able to have it look normal for my self, and not later scrape my wrist like sand paper like my old one.

View attachment 2011025
I think I misunderstood. I thought the OP was worried about the strap scratching the watch, that said I’ve had stainless watch bands for 25 years and never seen this kind of thing. I even had that style of Dell latitude. I have an XPX15 and a MacBook Pro, neither of which the watch strap marks. It’s a stainless link, that I have quite loose. Big hands maybe? If my watch band was on the palm rest my knuckles would be close to the top of the KB.
Back when I had proper watches, Seamaster and a GMT-master, I developed a small callous on the back of my left hand from the crown.

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
I use the Nike sports band and that has the metal pin protruding through the strap.

I have zero scratches from it on my MacBook (or my HP). I actually just rubbed it on the HP (harder than it would rub with normal use) and it didn't make a mark.

That's a super unnatural position though - where the procuring pin would touch the surface of the laptop.

Here's how you should use a keyboard:

Last edited:

mikecwest

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2013
I use the Nike sports band and that has the metal pin protruding through the strap.

I have zero scratches from it on my MacBook (or my HP). I actually just rubbed it on the HP (harder than it would rub with normal use) and it didn't make a mark.

That's a super unnatural position though - where the procuring pin would touch the surface of the laptop.

Here's how you should use a keyboard:
I am normally sitting in my car at work, so its not the most ideal ergonomic position.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.