Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wolfpackfan

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 10, 2007
Cary, NC
Well I have on pre-order a 16GB but was thinking tomorrow asking if I can change my order to 32GB. I won't be using my iPad to hold mp3 files (I'll continue using my iPhone as my primary music player); but I will be watching a lot of videos. I'm thinking though with NetFlix and the ABC apps (and others on the way I bet), I will be watching a lot of shows online and not purchasing as many from iTunes. Because of this I think I'll just stay with the 16GB.

mullman

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2004
NC
Not at all.
Glad I went with 64GB, the iPad is all about apps not even thought of yet.

More memory increases the lifespan of the unit somewhat, as no doubt, iPad apps will grow over time.

illutionz

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2007
Rhode Island
I'm getting 16gb anyhow...
Why? Because I am upgrading to "iPad 2" next year ;)
I only have 4GB of Music that is absolutely my favorite and I like to bring wherever I go... 12GB for Apps and Videos are more than enough

maroontigre

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2010
Maybe I'm a purist, but I hate use of the term "memory" to refer to drive space, capacity, etc.

tttexxan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2007
Sure does I bought the 64 and wondering why in the hell they didnt put in a 500 gig :)

FullSky

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2010
Dana Point, CA. USA
Maybe I'm a purist, but I hate use of the term "memory" to refer to drive space, capacity, etc.

I have always felt the same way you do: memory is one thing, storage space is another.

But the distinction is getting a little fuzzy these days as mini-hard drives for storage are rapidly being replaced in the industry by solid-state memory chips.

IPad uses memory chips for storage, doesn't it?

Carey

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
I'll worry about tomorrow... tomorrow..

Today 16GB will suit my needs fine so that's what I'm going with.

And yes netflix changed my mind a lot, because now instead of wanting to carry 2-3 movies it'll just be 1 and then stream whatever else I want.

iPhone is my music device

jfreak623

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2007
not really, cause i still wanna be able to put movies on there for when not in wifi....i have a 16gb coming to my house but im gonna try to get a 32GB tomorrow and either return the 16gb or ebay it, etc....

pagansoul

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2006
Earth
I need 64GB, hell I need a full TB or more. I have a good chunk of my favorite movies ripped into mp4s. I can't live without my fixes of Matrix, LOTR, Blade, and a host of others. I figure about 5GB music (not much, I have over 250GB on my home computer in VBR), 10GB in Books and magazines, comics (I have a lot of ebooks not counting PD stuff), 20GB movies/tv that I will have to rotate, 5GB for photos. That's half my space.

flyguy206

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2008
i look at it like this do you like to have space on your laptop/desktop. You can stream movies and tv from them but you still want space for apps movies games and other things. the ipad in a month is going to be so different then it is now

GermanSuplex

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2009
No because Abc and Netflix are streaming videos. The whole video does not get stored on the device.

That's his point: he was thinking about upping to 32gb or 64gb, but now he thinks he'll stick with the 16gb model since the streaming video will work for him.

I'm still going with 64GB, but I'll enjoy being able to rewatch a few episodes of Modern Family and Lost without purchasing. I may go with Netflix too until Apple gets a video subscription service.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta

It's not a drive but it is memory. A drive is traditionally a mechanical HD which is in the process of being replaced by SSD (sold state drive). The iPad (iPhone, iTouch and most small devices don't use either (though the iPod still uses a HD)) but use non-volotal FLASH memory.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.