Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
I'm not sure why this is confusing. Unlike Android, Apple has made it easy, by adopting the standard USB-PD as their fast charging method instead of a proprietary one like Xiaomi/OPPO did.

Simply get a charger that support USB-PD. You don't even have to bother about the Wattage or anything, just make sure it explicitly stated USB-PD standard. If it doesn't say that, avoid. Simple. Most of the time, USB-PD charging is supported via a USB-C port, thus that makes your decision even easier, to just use USB-C to lightning cable. Done deal.
Ok, but to be clear there are USB-C to lightening cables that are NOT USB-PD?

mlody

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2012
Windy City
I am still using my old 5W brick I got with my 5S now with 13 Pro. Fast charging is pointless if you only charge overnight (my case). In my iPhone lifetime (started with 4S, I only charge my iPhones when traveling and using Maps. I don't recall any other situation where I would need to top of my phone in the middle of the day.

Reactions: robotica

minimo3

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2010
Since I charge up overnight I deliberately use the apple 5w charger bricks. Nice slow charging which puts the least stress on the batteries. The daily use phones in the house that have done that are still at 93% battery life after 2 years. Meanwhile the one phone that was using the 12W charger is at 86%. (All bought at the same time and charged overnight) YMMV

Reactions: TH55

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Since I charge up overnight I deliberately use the apple 5w charger bricks. Nice slow charging which puts the least stress on the batteries. The daily use phones in the house that have done that are still at 93% battery life after 2 years. Meanwhile the one phone that was using the 12W charger is at 86%. (All bought at the same time and charged overnight) YMMV

YMMV for sure. I have an 8+ here that’s four years old and being charged with whatever currently is available. Now sits at 83%. Can’t complain, four years of absolutely not caring about the charging method.

• Haha
Reactions: Taz Mangus

FlyingDutch

macrumors 65816
Aug 21, 2019
Eindhoven (NL)
That’s anecdotal at best… ??‍♂️

Reactions: Taz Mangus

jaytv111

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2007
Ok, but to be clear there are USB-C to lightening cables that are NOT USB-PD?
No there are not. I’m sure Apple mandates it (they have a set of specs you have to follow to even sell a Lightning cable). If a cable broke charging they would not certify it and sue the maker for trademark violation and license breach.

Besides that USB-C cables meant to charge from USB-C bricks have always supported PD as far as I know. Maybe if a cable had extremely bad wiring it could refuse PD (but I think it would also refuse to send any power too). But on the other hand, USB-C on the device side and USB-A on the other side does not support PD, only legacy USB charging.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
Idk sounds pretty logical and conclusive
It says nothing about how or how much the devices were actually used which has a bigger impact on the battery health than charging type does.

I use slow charging for overnight and fast charging to top-up throughout the day when needed. Fast charging is significantly more convenient for a quick boost or when time is limited.

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
I’ve purchased two USB-PD charger bricks in recent years. They’re both 18W & have 2 x USB-A ports & 1 x USB-C port.

One’s in the kitchen, (more for the AirPods Pro), for quicker than average charging when needed [USB-C] & one‘s in the daily-driven vehicle [USB-A], used every day (whilst using Maps, streaming, calls etc.). USB-A is enough to keep the phone charged for a work day.

Once I get the iPhone 13, I’ll replace the USB-A cable in the vehicle with the USB-C cable & I’ll have faster charging in the vehicle as I do at home.

18W max is enough, & these chargers didn’t cost much (Anko brand, from Kmart).

I also have a wireless charger (same brand) used with Apple’s 5W brick, used to charge the iPhone over night.

My iPhone X is at 93% after nearly 4 years of use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.