Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NewBench

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
I've been offered a XS at a reasonable price. I previously had a X which was known for battery swell issues which caused the front glass to raise slightly (I know not all of them did this). I'm pretty sure Apple didn't (or at least doesn't now) offer any kind of out-of-warranty fix for this.

So, before I take the plunge, any XS owners or anyone knowledgeable know whether the XS was prone to this issue too? Can't find any mention of it on wikipedia or elsewhere.

Thanks

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Any battery has the ability to swell but the XS has a different battery design than the X. It is one solid L-shaped unit versus two separate units joined in a L-shape in the X.

Spudlicious

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2015
Bedfordshire, England
The XS is well known to be the discerning gentleman’s phone, I think it’s fair to say :) If you have the offer of one at a good price and are satisfied with the condition, especially the indicated battery capacity, then why not? Any phone you buy might suffer a swollen battery in the future, but probably not.

Reactions: tt061282

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Batteries that are susceptible will swell from leaving them in the charger all the time. Good ones won't. Even a bad battery won't swell if it's not habitually charged to 100%

alpi123

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2014
Honestly, I've never heard someone having their battery swollen on their Xs. I myself have the Max and it's been great. I think you shouldn't worry about it

tt061282

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2018
Nevada
Any battery has the possibility of swelling, but the XS and X have different battery designs. The X is 2 different batteries in a L shape and the XS is one L shaped battery.

Personally I’ve never had issues with the X or XS batteries. However I know batteries have the possibility of swelling.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.